Delay in php execution

wordpress

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a delay in php-based pages. I am on the server “blowpop” and no matter what it is, gallery, wiki, wordpress - anything… there is a 7 to 8 second delay when pulling up a page. I know it’s not the connection as it sits there with no data passing.

Does anyone else see this on their sites?

[quote]I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a delay in php-based pages. I am on the server “blowpop” and no matter what it is, gallery, wiki, wordpress - anything… there is a 7 to 8 second delay when pulling up a page. I know it’s not the connection as it sits there with no data passing.

Does anyone else see this on their sites?[/quote]
Not here, but if you could let us know the URL for your site(s), perhaps someone can confirm for you before you report a problem.

FYI: I have several sites using WordPress and various bulletin board databases, and all my sites have PHP of one sort or another.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com

I think the delay of 7 or 8 seconds is for the comptuer to look for the dns server. Depends on the traffic, it could be slow sometimes

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

This is definately NOT DNS related, the delay happens after name resolution (and after a DNS redirect from subdomain to /directory/), here is the stepping through…

1… dns resolution (instant)
2… dns redirect form directory.domain.tld to www.domain.tld/directory/
3… request for main.php of Meanalto Gallery
4… delay, 7 or 8 seconds if it’s been more than 10 minutes since last php request (3 or 4 seconds if it’s been less than 10 minutes)
5… data finally sent to browser

this is with a stock install of Gallery from one-click, with a custom install from a download… also, it makes no difference how many pictures there are.

That looks like it is possibly the result of the “roundtrip” to and back from a busy MySQL server. All the applications you mentioned are MySQL based; I suspect that is where you are experiencing your “lag”.

You could run some tests with “static” PHP pages to make sure, but I think you’ll find the problem is not PHP, but the overhead of MySQl connection and queries being made to MySQL host(s) not on your same server (internal network delay within DH network or a “slowish” MySQL server). Just my thoughts on the subject, and I could be completely wrong. :wink:

–rlparker