Default Web Page File Name

I’m coming from a Windows ASP environment where I can define the default web page file name. How does that happen at DreamHost?

And is upper/lower case significant in DreamHost URLs, folder, or files?

Thanks.

Apache file names are case sensitive. To minimize user typos, best to keep all file & directory names lower case.

Probably better to edit file names before uploading to your account, although this can be done with the DH File Manager or any FTP program.

I assume by “default” you mean for your homepage. Most of us use: index.html for static web pages although you can define other alternatives with an .htaccess file.

For dynamic pages, instead of .asp you’d use .php so your default homepage would be index.php.

1 Like

Amusingly, an Apache error occasionally reveals the full list of default directory-index file names on DH:

index.html
index.shtml
index.htm
Index.html
Index.htm
Index.shtml
page1.html
index.pl
index.cgi
index.php
index.php3
index.phtml
home.htm
home.html
home.shtml
index.wml
index.pcgi
default.htm
Default.htm
default.html
Default.html
default.shtml
Default.shtml
quickstart.html
main.html
Main.html
1 Like

Interesting that the quickstart.html placeholder trumps a file named main.html

Yea. I think the presence of quickstart.html is now an anachronism. Last year, DH switched to a new mechanism for displaying the placeholder page. Old topic:

Just to complete the topic…

To define any page as the default homepage:

DirectoryIndex example.php

(placed in your root level .htaccess file.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.