Default domain webaddress to another directory

Hello all. Stupid new dreamhost question for you guys. Just moved my site here yesterday, and I am trying to get it to hooked up like I had it before.

Basically I have a SMF forum on my website, and a gallery. Both are in different directories (smf and gallery) which are subdirectories of the web root directory.

On my old host, I was able to basically point the domain to just go to this directory instead of the root (we really only use the forum). So when people went to example.com, it would just dump into the forum directory. The gallery would still be perfectly accessable.

On Dreamhost, I can’t seem to get it to work the same. I tried changing the “specify web directory” setting to my forum directory, but then that makes all other folders, including my gallery, unreachable. I am sure there is just a setting I don’t know about, but I am unsure what to do other than to install my forum into the root of my webspace.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance.

On your old system, did you just redirect into the forum subdirectory? What appeared in the browser URL?

Anyway, the options that I know of:

1. redirect
  2. url munge using mod_rewrite
  3. I wonder if you could do a remap subdir off of the dreamhost panel? I don’t think this will work, btw because I think it remaps all sub-url paths as well.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Yes, I just redirected into that subdirectory. The browser bar would show the full domain/directory path. (example.com/smf)

worse comes to worst, I will just put a simple index file on in the root directory and just direct it via a script.

How 'bout trying to specify the web directory again like you tried, and then Remap (also under the Domains menu) the gallery directory to a subdirectory of SMF?

-Scott

the only way that would work is to put the gallery folder under the forum one…which I don’t know if it will work too well.

The only thing I can think of is to write a simple redirect home page and put it in root…but I am having a hard time getting it to work with the forum right. sigh

Thanks for the suggestions though.