Dedicated Server - Username already in use

vps

I am trying to create a few ftp users on our dedicated server. There are only a few existing users, yet nearly every time I try to create a user with a simple, yet not very common username I get the error that the name is already in use on the system. I know the username is NOT in use on our dedicated server, so there shouldn’t be a conflict.

If our dedicated server is actually dedicated, it shouldn’t matter if someone else is using the username on a different server somewhere, correct?

This is forcing me to create usernames that are overly complex and make no sense relative to their function or our company.

Edit:
The same thing is happening for group names. Despite not being an existing group name on our DS I get “the group name is already taken”.

Because the usernames can be transferred to any server on our system, including shared, they have to be unique.

Ahhhh, I see. Guess I’ll just have to get more creative with user/group names. Thanks for explaining.

I add a random 1 or 2 digit number after the username, as it seems easier for me to remember. Adding the com or net or org whatever also works well.