Dedicated server maintenance in hell

“DreamHost Announcer” support@dreamhost.com sent me an email last week and again today about maintenance on my dedicated server. To start today at 4 PM be all done by 6 PM But should only take 10 minutes.

Blockquote
Hello there!
As we mentioned last week, we will be performing routine hardware maintenance on your dedicated server today between 4:00pm and 6:00pm PDT.
This will cause no more than 10 minutes of downtime and will not impact any DreamHost-hosted email or other services.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reply back and let us know!
Thanks!
The Happy DreamHost Dedicated Server Maintenance Robot!

My server went down about 4 PM and I could ssh in (and sftp) by 4:05, but the web server couldn’t start. Somehow the extra 1 T disk had been unmounted, and that’s where all the web files are. It’s 10:30 now and no web server yet.
“This will cause no more than 10 minutes of downtime”
I’ve gotten 2 updates that say they are working on it but it isn’t getting fixed as far as I can see.
I can see enough of my server to see that the 1 T disk is gone. That had better show up pretty soon.
-mort

It seems that the main 1TB disk had a problem and so support ran xfs_repair, which took all day. The site was off line for about 25 hours. And when it came back one of the the SSL certificates was changed. The operating system, Apache and SSL stuff are all on the root disk, which stayed mounted. As far as I can tell only a few files changed during the maintenance. How does that happen?
-mort

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.