Deciding what product to start with

Hi, I am trying to start a blog and I heard great things about dreamhost. I don’t have any clue where to start. I was leaning toward the VPS for 15 per month but it said something about not having mysql but that the cheaper shared plan has it already. I don’t have any clue what mysql is or if I need it. I also don’t know if the features in the 15 a month VPS plan are good for me. This is all new to me and I know absolutely nothing. Please help!

You will need MySQL service to run most standard blogging apps (e.g, WordPress).

So it is a good idea to start with the shared hosting which comes with the mysql? Will it have everything else I need?

VPS is an add-on to shared hosting. That means you must have a shared hosting account anyway and a VPS just gives you increased & guaranteed resource limits. You still have access to all of your shared resources as part of your shared hosting account.

That means you can get a VPS and still use the shared databases, or you can pay an additional $10/month for a VPS SQL server.

So, when you add it all up, VPS costs at least $33/month if you want all of the bells and whistles.

You don’t need a VPS unless your sites are receiving, on average, at least hundreds of requests per hour. Even then, if you use caching and have optimised quite a bit, you can deal with thousands of requests per hour and still not cause any problems in a shared hosting environment with reasonable performance.