Debian 3.1 Release

I posted a request to support and received a JACK response.

Does anyone have an understanding the time line it takes for DH to install a stable Debian Release.

backyard

Great… but I would like to understand your planning
time line structure. If it’s released, does it take
you days or months before you make it availiable.

This needs to be defined for me to understand how to
manage my plan with DH.

You really didn’t address my question.

Please advise

Hello,

There are no current plans for this upgrade, but we
will keep you updated
on when / if we will upgrade. Thank you!

On Fri, 20 May 2005, you wrote:

[quote]IT is my understanding the subject stable release is
[/quote]

planned at the

[quote]end of this month.

Once the release is available to the public, how
[/quote]

long will it take

[quote]for DH to install this version?

Duncan

[/quote]

Thanks!
Jordan

[quote]I posted a request to support and received a JACK response.

Does anyone have an understanding the time line it takes for DH to install a > stable Debian Release.

[/quote]

I think you can infer from Jordan’s response that we don’t really have a timeline for when this will occur. Obviously, an upgrade of this magnitude is pretty large, and would require a fair bit of testing before we’d consider upgrading our customer servers. The process could take anywhere from weeks to months, depending on how smooth our tests go.

So, basically, we’re not really willing to commit to a given timetable right now. However, I can say that A) we are aware of the release, and do plan on upgrading to the next stable Debian distribution, and B) it wouldn’t be something that we would get to in a very short timeframe (ie. a matter of a few weeks). We have a lot of customers who expect us not to make dramatic server changes without testing.

I hope this clarifies things a bit, and isn’t seen as a ‘jack’ response. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

THank you for the response.

Yes, this is a better response.

Now I have to figure out a business plan to support this release and assume a three month time frame for your testing.

My scripts support perl 5.8 and debian package libdb4.2.52-18.

I’ve got it scheduled to be done around the end of the 2nd quarter (so things will probably get really rolling in a month or so). We do lots and lots of test builds and then the upgrade to production machines will probably take a week or two (barring any fun emergencies). We’ve got a few hundred boxes, so reimaging them isn’t super zippy.

Note that you can always compile whatever perl binary or berkeley db library you’d like in your homedir!

nate.