Dear DreamHost!

Dear DreamHost!
I’ve learned from the forum that you had a “777” birthday promotion where one could get a CDI plan for $10 for a YEAR. As a loyal customer, I’m disappointed that “we dreamhostees” didn’t hear about this too. There are in fact no information about this on the DH website, but Google turns up some interesting blogs.

I’ve just paid $157 to upgrade my CDI plan to a Code Monster plan on top of what I had already pre-paid for the CDI plan. Instead of this, I now learn that I could simply have opened a new “777” ten-dollar account - that would have been 94% cheaper. Basically I’ve just paid $147.29 for nothing. Although that last sentence is not precisely true because there are other differences between CDI and Code Monster, I still feel ripped off.

With DreamHost’s track record of being a fine company, this “777” promotion is a real surprise and disappointment.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDPrices, options

I believe you would have been dissapointed in yourself if you had read the fine print:

[quote]

• This offer is for new customers only - those who do not have an active account with DreamHost.
  • If you sign up and forget to use the “777” promotional code, you WILL NOT receive the sale pricing. No amount of complaining will change this!
  • Domains and accounts may not be transferred from an existing DreamHost Web Hosting account to a “777” Crazy Domain Insane hosting plan.
  • We reserve the right to deny this sale pricing to anyone at our discretion.
  • $0.77 fee must be paid with a credit card one year in advance. You will be charged $9.24 upon signing up for one year, $104.64 for two years.
  • This sale will remain in effect until all 777 discounted hosting plans have been given away.
    …[/quote]
    I imagine existing customers should periodically check the main DreamHost web site for promotions though, I know I hardly visit it myself.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

I check DH frequently, about weekly, and I didn’t motice. Sigh. Yeah, the fine print is a bummer, but of course I could’ve convinced my brother to create an account.

TorbenGB

But actually, to be fair in this discussion, I’m still happy about my DreamHost account and the absolutely unsurpassed quality of service and wealth of features that we get for the money - promotion or not. It’s simply a great hosting provider!

TorbenGB

I have to admit I was surprised when I hunted down the offer, but you have to appreciate it that it’s only for a promotional period of one year. Once the year is up, they’re back to full price, like the rest of us.

In the last year, I’ve had so many upgrades and added features, that I don’t have too much room to complain… I’m still on a plan upgrade from a few years that was available only to existing users. Still loving it!