Dead Control Panel?

I have been unable to load any control panel page for over 15 minutes now…it doesn’t time out, just won’t display any pages. Is it just me, or anybody else having trouble?

–rlparker

back up now…maybe just a reboot? approximately 30 minutes downtime…oh well, say the Jay Leno monologue.

it’s been sloooooooooooooow as hell the past few days

Has been slow for me too today. But not 15 - 30 mins. slow!

QT

See, Hear, Smell, Taste, Touch
Touch, … Yes, Touch

Whenever I’ve got 15-30 mins slow, I found it due to a e.g. 1min delay during which DH happened to take the panel down for maintenance. We never see the “Temporarily unavailable” message so the browser sits there indefinitely.

I suspect that you are absolutely correct in that assessment. It just seems that it would not be too difficult for DH to post an “Down for Maintenance, try agin in XX minutes” type of message. The end result (temporary downtime) is the same, the “worry” factor for the user is significantly different.

–rlparker

A agree about the effect, and it gives a very poor impression of DH. But I don’t agree that it would be not too difficult to fix. The problem being that the page service is already in progress, i.e. has long passed the server switch that initially puts up the Unavailable message. What DH really needs to fix is that hanging of the page service, which gives about the worst impression possible to the user, so even timeout would be preferable.

That’s a good observation, and I see your point. I also agree that a timeout would be preferable; a timeout makes it relatively easy to deduce that the panel is “down” for now, and my response to that would be to wait 15, 30, nn minutes and try again, rather than to hammer the server with refresh requests or trying to go to other parts of the panel by clicking other links on the panel.

-rlparker

Come to think of it, now I remember being surpried when I first saw that this panel outage situtation did /not/ cause a timeout. How can this be, give the browser times-out just because of non-response from server?

That’s a good question. The only place I have ever seen that is with the Dreamhost panel. I don’t know why the browser wouldn’t time-out. I wonder if it has to do with the browser settings? I use Firefox 1.06, and it just sets there “loading” the page…for minutes…without a timeout.

I just assumed that the header was went by the server, but the MySQL, or the server itself, just “jung” at that point, but wouldn’t that situation still ultimately produce a time-out?

–rlparker

[quote]I wonder if it has to do with the browser settings?

[/quote]

I can’t see how. I see no timeout duration/disable setting on either browser I use.

[quote]I use Firefox 1.06, and it just sets there “loading” the page…for minutes…without a timeout.

[/quote]

Same here with OPera 7 and IE6.

[quote]I just assumed that the header was went by the server, but the MySQL, or the server itself, just
"jung" at that point, but wouldn’t that situation still ultimately produce a time-out?

[/quote]

I think it would.

We use a hardware load balancer in front of the machines that serve the panel so there may be some configuration tweaks we need to make. Thanks for the observations!

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder