Database restore failure - multiple open tickets

We tried to repair a large table in a mySQL database yesterday and it crashed. So, I tried restoring the table using the DH control panel. Despite getting the cheery:

! Success!
Your database “board” will have its backups restored within the next 5-10 minutes!

Phew! Crisis AVERTED, eh?

It dropped the table and did not restore the back-up. So, now I have a completely borked database.

What’s really odd is that I have gotten no response from Dreamhost, not even the automatic reply you get when you open a new ticket. We’ve sent our support tickets at the highest priority (OMG!.. ).

Is anyone else waiting to hear back from support? Is there something up with the support/tickets? While it can take a while to get a live response it seems weird to have received no acknowledgement at all.

Anyone have any advice? I did not try a total database overwrite with the restoration, just the damaged table. Tried twice.

I have not had any trouble getting support responses, but I have not gotten the “automatic reply you get when you open a new ticket” for quite some time now.

On the rare occasion when something approaches 24 hours without a response, I get a “automagically” generated “sorry for the delay, we have not forgotten you” kind of email, but those “we got your ticket” confirmation emails stopped coming for me a long time ago.

–rlparker

I just got one of those 24 hour ones, so at least they are receiving the messages.

But, still no joy.

Have you tried with an older version of the backup ( I still make my own dumps, daily… and store offsite) and also, which option selected?

When restoring:
My restored tables should be named tablename__TIMESTAMP and the tables there now should be untouched.

My restored tables should be named TIMESTAMP__tablename and the tables there now should be untouched.

My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be renamed tablename__20071203_113943.

My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be renamed 20071203_113943__tablename.

My restored tables should be named tablename and the tables there now should be overwritten by the backups!

Unless you have selected the last one… you may have a bigger DB now (current tables + old tables)… also if you changed the * on tables to restore you may not have your entire db restored but only the selected tables.

Regards.

use VIC3M for a 70USD discount on all plans (except monthly payments) +10% on storage and bandwith.

Yup, thanks.

DH did call me back. They ended up creating a new database from an older backup.

Seems to be working now.

I’d back this up offline but it’s too huge (2+g), In fact, the initial crash occurred while another admin was trying to clean-up and reduce the size of it.