After the database stopped responding all together I went into my WP config files.
No idea how it happened but the WP config had switched which database is was using to a different database I had set up for some forums.
Changed it back to the WP database and things were back to normal.
The strange thing is that I thought I must've been using the forum databse and saving all the info there but that wasn't the case, when I switched over to the WP database everything was there still, so it must've been something else going on.
Database conflicts or something but I'm not sure how the WP config file could have gotten written too.
Worth checking though.[/align]