Cybersquatting?

I just received this email. The company appears to be legitimate: the website exists and appears to offer domain registration services. However the wording is far from satisfactory; they don’t actually state which domains he has applied for. Possibly the mail is not from intweifa.com

If I make no objection, am I going to later be pressured to give up my evalueco.com domain name or to pay to maintain it? I’ve had it for 15 years and have marketed my company of the same name, so I am certainly not squatting, but will that be any help against a determined well financed organisation?

If is is a scam, what are they aiming for?

Tony Barry

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: DOMAIN DISPUTE and REGISTRATION
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:00:05 +0800
To: tbarry@EVALUECO.COM

To whom it may concern: 2011-03-21

We are a domain name registration service company in Asia,

Last week we received a formal application submited by Justin Lee who wanted to use the keyword “EVALUECO” to register the Internet Brand and with suffix such as .cn /.com.cn /.net.cn/.hk/ .asia/ domain names.

After our initial examination, we found that these domain names to be applied for registration are same as your domain name and trademark. We aren’t sure whether you have any relation with him. Because these domain names would produce possible dispute, now we have hold down his registration, but if we do not get your company’s an reply in the next 5 working days, we will approve his application

In order to handle this issue better, Please contact us by Fax ,Telephone or Email as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely

Fiona

Checking Department

Tel: 86 513 8532 2831
Fax: 86 513 8532 2832
Email:Fiona@ntweifa.com

Our File No.:2979181

They’re trying to get you to purchase those domain names from them to “protect your identity”.

Which, of course, is code for “send us money” :wink:

That makes total sense …

EXCEPT …

are not domain name registrars(?) supposed to have some minimum ethical/professional standards?

[hr]

Sorry - silly me - just a momentary flashback to the 20th century.

That is definitely a scam. The only way someone would be able to take your domain name for trademark infringement is if they had such a trademark and are still currently providing services under it. They would have to register the trademark where they are and in the US as well (assuming you are in the US). You would also have to have services that are in direct competition with this other person in such a way as to cause brand confusion between the two of you and I cannot see that happening.

Simply registering a domain name does not make it a trademark in any case. It is simply where you hold your website. You could have a website ABCD.com but your company name could be EFGH Enterprises. It doesn’t mean anything unless you have a business that is globally recognizable (like amazon.com or microsoft etc). Most trademarks are localized as well. Its why two businesses with the same name offering different services are possible because they are in different states (or countries).