Customer Promo Codes and PayPal

I was curious, I only have a PayPal account to use, and wish to use a customer promo code that takes money off, but does not limit me to only a credit card to use.

Ideas on how to go about this, and if there is such an animal?

All DreamHost promo-codes are valid for all payment types. However, you should be aware that the 97 day money back guarantee only applies if you pay using credit-card or Google Checkout.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

from what I remember, DH has enabled promo cdoe for all the payment.

If you have a PayPal account, you should be able to sign up an account with a promo code and enjoy the great discount.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

One other thing; There have been reports recently of potential customers being offered Google Checkout as the only payment option. I believe this is caused by the DreamHost automated fraud detection system flagging the application as potential fraud. DreamHost, for very good reasons, has not released details about exactly what triggers this system, but it could be as simple as the country of origin, or using a proxy when applying.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

You can still pay by credit card if you send them a fax

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#CC0000]97USA[/color] :cool: choose your plan (promo code included)

You can, but those finding themselves in the position of only being offered Google Checkout and wishing to pay by credit-card directly (not through Google Checkout), should always ask DreamHost first, before sending the fax. In short, only send the fax when you have been requested by DreamHost to do so.

Mark

agree with mark.

Do not fax UNLESS DH askes you to do that. If you are unlucky and cannot pay using paypal, you can try to request to pay using credit card. If DH replies and agrees, then follow the instructions to fax the authentication form.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

I still do not see where I can pay with PayPal. Every single customer promo I put in always says only credit card.

Show me otherwise please.

Also, I contacted DH, and they said possibly only some customer promo codes do not give the “only credit cards may be used” response.

Here is a link showing what I am talking about: http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4796/25974583am3.png

Now that is interesting, as it is not possible for a customer to create a promo-code and specify ‘credit-card’ only.

I do recall the credit-card only restriction being in place for all promo-codes not so long ago, but a DreamHost representative stated in these forums that this was an oversight and things were ‘fixed’ so that promo-codes were valid for all payment types.

Perhaps somewhere in the recent panel maintenance some old code was reintroduced that also re-instated this restriction.

Edit: I have found the thread in which Michael (a DreamHost Honcho) says that promo-codes are valid for all payment types…

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=curious&Number=63226&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

[color=#0000CC]“Someone did turn off non-credit card payments with promo codes due to people trying to cheat and resignup with promo codes for a second year. We have another system for preventing that now, so you can now signup with any pay method again as of today.”[/color]

Mark

Did you happen to see the screenshot that I hosted? I get this no matter what… Care to share a promo code that does not generate such a response? Either way, I’ll keep trying promo codes till one actually works to my benefit. =/

I did, but did you happen to see where I wrote…

[color=#0000CC]“Perhaps somewhere in the recent panel maintenance some old code was reintroduced that also re-instated this restriction.”[/color]

I don’t think it is the promo-code(s) that you are trying to use that are causing the problem, I think it is the DreamHost automated fraud detection system.

I just tried a test sign-up using my own promo-code with pseudo-random entries for name/address etc. and sure enough I saw the ‘credit-card only with promo-code’ message that you saw, I was also restricted to Google Checkout or mail-in check/money order for payment.

I then proceeded to try another sign-up, again using my promo-code, but this time I used a legitimate name/address etc (Australian address). This time I did not see the ‘credit-card only with promo-code’ message and I was also offered the full range of payment options.

From the above, I can only assume that those unlucky enough to trigger the fraud detection system (for whatever reason) and are offered only the Google Checkout option for payment, will also see the ‘credit-card only with promo-code’ message. I think this is regardless of what promo-code you use.

Mark

So I’m screwed either way. Oh well, I guess I cannot use DreamHost.

Unfortunately, if DH system detects a fraud in your region, you can’t use PayPal.

Do you have an option to pay using money order with a promo code?