Custom PHP Install/WebFTP

Hello. I had followed the instructions on the wiki to install my own PHP to get around some of the settings DH has configured. I downloaded the WebFTP package that dreamhost uses and installed it in a subdomain and I am having it use my PHP install instead of the default install (DH’s).When I log into the WebFTP for the first time, I get an error 403, Service Unavailable. If i go back and enter my details again and login, it works. I looked in the error logs for this site and I saw the following (ip/hostname removed):

[quote][Thu Jul 24 15:59:30 2008] [error] [client 71.224.xxx.xxx] mod_security: Access denied with code 503. Pattern match “!^[0-9a-z]$" at ARG(“PHPSESSID”) [severity “EMERGENCY”] [hostname “webftp.xxxxxxxx.xxx”] [uri “/index.php”] [unique_id “AoI63EPNEqcAAH4UbKcAAAAC”]
[Thu Jul 24 15:59:34 2008] [error] [client 71.224.xxx.xxx] mod_security: Access denied with code 503. Pattern match "!^[0-9a-z]
$” at ARG(“PHPSESSID”) [severity “EMERGENCY”] [hostname “webftp.xxxxxxxx.xxx”] [uri “/index.php”] [unique_id “ArhL3UPNEqcAAHxb-XEAAAAH”][/quote]

Any ideas what might be causing this? Is it a problem with my install of PHP or a problem with the WebFTP package?

Actually, it is neither of those things. That is the result of the mod_security rules DreamHost has in place if you have “Extra Web Security” enabled for your domain, and you can learn more about it here:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Mod_security

–rlparker
–DreamHost Tech Support