Custom PHP + APC

software development

I am currently considering installing a custom PHP with APC. This is something I have no experience doing and I have a few questions. Forgive me if they’re silly. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m looking at the PHP 5.3 + Xdebug + APC install script. Is this something I can run by itself and get all those things setup, or is there additional steps that need to be taken first?

I’m currently on a free trial for VPS, though I’m considering moving back to shared when it’s done since I have not seen any performance increase after the move. I have both mediawiki and an SMF forum installed, and I’ve been trying to improve their performance.

After installing a custom php, is it automatically set for all of my domains? Or is this something I would have to select under each domain settings? I ask mainly because I want to know if this will do bad things to my currently active websites if something goes wrong during installation.

Thanks!

Ok, so I actually managed to get the above answers already. I’m trying to actually install the script now, but I’m getting this error:

[code]2011-12-09 06:30:38 (464 KB/s) - `openssl-1.0.0e.tar.gz’ saved [4040229/4040229]

–2011-12-09 06:30:38-- http://ignum.dl.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-
Resolving ignum.dl.sourceforge.net… 62.109.128.11, 2001:1ab0:7e1f:1:230:48ff:fed1:9c0a
Connecting to ignum.dl.sourceforge.net|62.109.128.11|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 302 Found
Location: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-?download&failedmirror=ignum.dl.sourceforge.net [following]
–2011-12-09 06:30:38-- http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/mcrypt/Libmcrypt/2.5.8/libmcrypt-?download&failedmirror=ignum.dl.sourceforge.net
Resolving downloads.sourceforge.net… 216.34.181.59
Connecting to downloads.sourceforge.net|216.34.181.59|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 404 Not Found
2011-12-09 06:30:38 ERROR 404: Not Found.[/code]

Any ideas?

Okay, so I managed to fix the issue and got past all the downloading and unpacking and it got as far as building. Not really a bug, but the installer asked me a question and I have no idea how to answer.

[quote]+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Building with IPv6 support
  • NOTE: Some versions of glibc have a bug in the getaddrinfo
  • call which does DNS name resolution. This bug causes host
  • names to be canonicalized incorrectly, as well as doing an
  • unnecessary and performance-sapping reverse DNS call. This
  • problem does not affect the IPv4 gethostbyname call.
  • getaddrinfo works properly on Mac OS X and Windows. However,
  • the problem has been observed on some Linux systems.
  • If you answer n to the following question the build will be
  • cancelled and you must rebuild. If you did not specify IPv6
  • yourself, try adding IP6=4 to the make command line.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do you want to build with IPv6 anyway? Type y or n please:
[/quote]

Should I answer yes or no? And if I answer no, where do I add this “IP6=4”?

Please don’t use that install script! It’s no longer necessary, as there’s now “official” PHP 5.3 support available in the DreamHost Panel (under Manage Domains > Edit).

For custom extensions, such as APC, please see: http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PHP.ini#PHP_5.3

Oh, ok, thanks. Well now I’m trying to install APC from the directions here using the custom php.ini.

But when I try to run /usr/local/php53/bin/phpize, it gives me this error message:

[quote]Cannot find config.m4.
Make sure that you run ‘/usr/local/php53/bin/phpize’ in the top level source directory of the module[/quote]

Like the instructions say, make sure you’re currently in the APC source directory when you run that command. (Just downloading the source isn’t sufficient; you will need to extract it and cd to the APC directory first.)