Custom name servers

hi… i like to know, is it possible to have custom DNS servers for our hosting package.
i want tohave NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM instead of NS1.DREAMHOST.COM.

Yes, you can do this.

The basic procedure is to add A records for your domain, pointing to the IP addresses of the DreamHost DNS servers.

For example;

ns1 A 66.33.206.206
ns2 A 66.201.54.66
ns3 A 66.33.216.216

Note: The IP addresses of the DreamHost DNS servers may change in the future, so you will need to keep on top of that.

More information can be found in the following thread;

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=58824&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Edit: Of-course, after the A records are added and active, you will need to change the DNS servers for your domain from ns?.dreamhost.com to ns?.yourdomain.com. If I recall correctly, there is an extra confirmation step when doing this, where you have to re-enter the relevant IP addresses.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Could you not register your own nameservers at your registrar (assuming it’s not DH), and use DH’s IP addresses when doing so?

Save $97 on all yearly plans with the promo code [color=#CC0000]DREAMZAP[/color] – zaps the monthly plans too!

I haven’t figured out how to do this with GoDaddy. It gives me an error when I plug in my A record name: ns1.mydomain.com

-Scott

please beware that you can’t have ns.blah.com as nameserver of blah.com!! It’s better to keep your own nameservers like they were and tell your costumers (or customers) to take your custom ns-servers.

slauson.dreamhost.com rocks! (so does my site :))
link me

Why can’t you?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

I am not an expert on DNS matters, but I was wondering the same thing. It does seem to be a fairly common occurence (the name-servers for dreamhost.com are ns1.dreamhost.com etc.)

I configured this on one of my domains last night and, other than the aforementioned confirmation of IP addresses, the procedure went without a hitch. This morning, after everything had propagated, I checked and the domain was working correctly and whois etc. showed the ns1.mydomain.com name servers.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

why can’t you? well, let’s say you have a postbox at my address and all mail delivered to that box is flushed directly to you.

But ohooo, what happens, my address is bombed and everything is gone, even your postbox. So no-one can reach you anymore.

ok, maybe it’s more that you shouldn’t do that instead of you can’t. You can but if something goes down, al lot is going down

slauson.dreamhost.com rocks! (so does my site :))
link me

That’s a good argument against using your technical contact e-mail address being at a different domain, which is a recommended practice, but it doesn’t make any sense where nameservers are concerned. DNS servers use IP addresses, not hostnames; otherwise you’d have a chicken/egg situation if you tried to look up information about example.org using ns1.example.org.

Actually, I’m not even sure what situation you’re trying to describe. An entire zone file going missing? Your names won’t resolve then regardless of what nameservers your domain is using.

Suffice it to say, there’s no reason to not use nameservers that have names in the domain you’re using them for, if the DNS servers in question are actually under your control. I would recommend against doing this sort of fake DNS server thing, but for different reasons.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Instead of using the IPs, is there a way you can just forward ns1.mydomain.com to be ns1.dreamhost.com?

I also host with ANHosting and they are practically MidPhase. I am able to put in dns1.anhosting.com and so forth to host on my Midphase account.

I did a DNS check one time and found a category or something called, ‘Missing (stealth) nameservers’.

Go ahead and go to dnsreport.com and do fearthenoob.com. That is my domain and is set to dns1.anhosting.com and dns2.anhosting.com.

[color=#000000]SAVE [color=#00CC00]$50[/color] on your new Dreamhost acccount by Using the promo code [color=#00CC00]NXGAMERS[/color][/color]