Custom MX Entries

Hello,

My mail provider mailgun.org (for which I use for Wordpress outbound emails) is requesting I add these settings:
http://i.imgur.com/fo5OOxG.jpg

Would this be the correct way to enter them?

It appears as though it overwrites my Dreamhost MX entries, resulting in email bouncebacks:

I appreciate any thoughts or guidance.

Thanks,

Rob

Yes, changing your MX records changes where you domain’s mail is routed.

What were you expecting to happen?

I would have assumed adding the custom MX records where just for help prevent flagging for spam / spoofing.

I figured adding them, in additional to my Dreamhost settings wouldn’t affect it (unless DH MX servers where unavailable).

MX records route all of your domains INBOUND mail. Normally you point MX records to the primary mail server for your domain. Some Spam services do direct you to route your domains mail directly to them, so that they can act as a middleman and process the mail before forwarding it on to your primary mail server.

From Wikipedia:
A mail exchanger record (MX record) is a type of resource record in the Domain Name System that specifies a mail server responsible for accepting email messages on behalf of a recipient’s domain, and a preference value used to prioritize mail delivery if multiple mail servers are available. The set of MX records of a domain name specifies how email should be routed with the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP).