Custom DNS

I would like to have the DNS customized
eg :
Primary name server: ns1.f5ive.net
Secondary name server: ns2.f5ive.net
Tertiary name server: ns3.f5ive.net

You set your DNS nameservers at your registrar. If DH is your registrar, you can do that from the Control Panel, though where you do it depends on whether you are hosting the site at Dreamhost or not.

If you are hosting the site on DH, you can make DNS changes by going to Control Panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains and clicking the “DNS” link next to the domain name in question or by going to Control Panel --> Domains --> Registrations, checking the checkbox next to the domain in question, and hitting the “Modify whois for the selected…” submit buttom at the bottom of the page.

If you are a “registration only” customer, and do not have the domain set up to be hosted under a hosting plan, only the second method described above is available to you. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

edit: Mark gave you much better instructions - actually, to do what you are trying to do, you must use the first option above, as Mark describes in more detail - it you are a “registration only” customer, you will not be able to make the kind of change you describe via the second option I listed above (Custom DNS is only available to “hosting plan” customers - you can set nameservers but you will not be able to modify individual DNS records)

–rlparker

Yes, you can do that. However the procedure is a little tricky.

The basic procedure is to add A-Records to your domains DNS records, pointing nsX.f5ive.net to the IP addresses of the DreamHost name servers.

For example;

ns1 A 66.33.206.206
ns2 A 66.201.54.66
ns3 A 66.33.216.216

Note that the IP addresses of the DreamHost name servers may change in the future, so you will need to keep on top of that and update the DNS records as required.

Of-course, after the A-Records are added and active, you will need to change the name servers configured for your domain from nsX.dreamhost.com to nsX.f5ive.net. If I recall correctly, there is an extra confirmation step when doing this, where you have to re-enter the relevant IP addresses.

Edit: The above assumes you want to continue using the dreamhost.com name servers and just want the nsX.f5ive.net ‘name servers’ to re-direct to these. If I have misunderstood your question, please disregard this post. :wink:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Good catch there, Mark - your answer is much better, and more accurate (I didn’t read the post carefully enough :frowning: ).

I’ve edited my response to the original poster, pointing him to your reply :wink:

–rlparker

I’m not so sure about that, I’ve read the original post a few times and I still can’t decide 100% what the OP is asking.

I was writing my reply at the same time as you (yet again :wink: ) and had assumed that he merely wanted his ‘name servers’ to re-direct to the existing DreamHost name servers, as this seems to be what most people asking the question are trying to do.

However, if the OP does have some real name servers elsewhere that he wants to point to, then my post will just confuse the issue.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

he he…I’m sure the op will post back and let us know about any continuing source of confusion. :wink:

–rlparker

Unless s/he is at home or office trying to figure out why nobody can get on the Internets ever since s/he installed BIND. :smiley:

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]