Custom DNS setting uppering

I’m going in circles with the KB.

I’m trying to be my own DNS (which is how I interpreted “custom DNS”) but I don’t see anything that says “yes, make a name server out of this domain, please” so then all the other sites I host say:

nameserver1.mykewlhosting.com
nameserver2.mykewlhosting.com

on their records.

a hint, then, anyone?

thank you.

In this scenario, are nameserver1 and nameserver2 machines under your control? If so, you just need to register nameserver1 and nameserver2 with your registrar (if it’s us, you’ll have to contact support and have them do this for you - there’s currently no way to do it from the panel). If you want us to setup and manage this for you, see below.

Custom DNS simply means that you can edit the records within your domains. If you want custom nameservers setup and managed by us, there are additional fees for that service (there are some forum articles about this a little ways back), and there’s no way to set it up through the panel - it has to be done “by hand” currently.

At my current host company, where I use their reseller plan, they let me pick one of my domains to act as my own name server through them; this allows me to seamlessly resell without my customers seeing the main hosting company’s name at all.

Such a solution is not currently included with any of our plans. We can do it, but the setup has to be done by hand; it’s a $25 setup fee each plus a $5 monthly charge each for the IPs involved.

so i just need to open a trouble ticket and get it added, then.

thanks!

what happens if he just points one of his subdomains to the IP of the DH NS? Or points one of his subdomains to a DH NS subdomain?

That won’t work. For most registrars to accept a nameserver as a host, it has to be “registered”. Generally, it can’t point to the same IP as an existing nameserver. Also, after they did this, the actual zone file would still refer to ns(1,2,3).dreamhost.com.

One other thing that should be mentioned is that new domains on your account will not be setup with the custom nameservers by default - you’d still need to have support do this by hand.

My guess is that at some point in the future, we’ll be better setup to do this.

it would only give the illusion, agreed. as far as “registered” name servers, is that new? I actually used to be a DNS admin, but it’s been a while…

It’s not new. It’s done with the registrar of the domain itself (and some registrars used to do it automatically - Netsol, for one). For instance, do “whois -h whois.crsnic.net [some nameserver]”:

aura% whois -h whois.crsnic.net ns1.dreamhost.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

Server Name: NS1.DREAMHOST.COM
IP Address: 66.33.206.206
Registrar: NETWORK SOLUTIONS, INC.
Whois Server: whois.networksolutions.com
Referral URL: http://www.networksolutions.com
[…]

This adds the “glue” entries at the authoritative servers for com. (so this is only needed if the nameserver is authoritative for the zone it’s within - however some registrars won’t let you add a nameserver if it’s not registered anyway).

aura% dig +sh +norec @b.gtld-servers.net ns1.dreamhost.com

“One other thing that should be mentioned is that new domains on your account will not be setup with the custom nameservers by default - you’d still need to have support do this by hand.”

Bleh. Nah, I’ll wait until you can support it automatically. It’s not worth the cost of 10$ a month to have to put in a trouble ticket each time.

Thanks, and please let us know when you do have it set up in more automatic fashion!