Curly server

software development

I am trying to compile my c++ code and I would like to know what is the server running on?
redhat, suse … and what version
thanks

Help me

DreamHost uses Debian Linux for the shared Web Hosting servers. Most, if not all, of the servers are now running Debian 3.0, also known as Woody. The previous version, 2.2, was called Potato. (Yes, the code names come from Toy Story)

You need to check your server to find out for sure. My site is on Dali. When I telnet to my site, Dali indicates that it is running Debian GNU/Linux 3.0. Oddly enough, the ASCII splash screen that comes up next (same as for when I connect by ssh) says:
Linux dali 2.2.19+ow4+nfspat+knfs-v1.7 #1 SMP Wed Oct 24 06:43:39 PDT 2001 i686

[quote]Linux dali 2.2.19+ow4+nfspat+knfs-v1.7 #1 SMP Wed Oct 24 06:43:39 PDT 2001 i686

[/quote]

This refers to the Kernel version, not the distro version. It appears they are using 2.2 Kernel.

Randy Sesser
University Extended Education
California State University, Stanislaus
http://www.ExtendedEd.com/

curly: 02:26pm# cat /etc/debian_version
curly: 02:26pm# uname -a
Linux curly 2.2.23+ow4+ndnfhs3+++2gb-v1.771 #1 SMP Tue Dec 10 16:31:10 PST 2002 i686 unknown

Amazing but true: Will not only types it, but he also speaks entirely in command-line-ese!

:>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Sometimes it’s best to let the computers speak for themselves :>

Just for kicks…
curly: 09:10pm# echo “we don’t need no stinkin’ dead rat” > /etc/redhat-release
curly: 09:10pm# cat !$
cat /etc/redhat-release
we don’t need no stinkin’ dead rat

[quote]This refers to the Kernel version, not the distro version.

[/quote]

Doh! Thanks for pointing this out. I got a little too obsessed with the 2.2 matching the version number for Potato.