cURL and set_time_limit(0) on PHP

Hi im thinking to host my site here and i need to know some things.

I need cURL eneble and php set_time_limit(0) working on script.

My project is like a spider to investigate profiles on sites like myspace, orkut, facebok etc… they consume a lot bandwith with cURL and need set_time_limit(0) on script to mantain it working til the end off process that can be 1 - 20 minutes per action depending of user friends list.

There are Limits for this on L1 Plan?
Dream Host Alow this type of services?

How is the amount of CPU that i can use with this plan?

If my site use a too much process can i be baned from DH?

Thanks,
Luciano

If your process is detected as being “persistent” (read long-running), on a normal shared account it will be killed. We’ve heard from at least a few people where various command line jobs have been killed - untar’ing, big database dump or load, etc.

If your processes in bulk use up so much CPU time that you’re affecting server performance for everyone else, you’ll be asked to move to a dedicated server.

If this is something that’s important to you and you’re willing to pay for it, DreamHost has a new Linux-VServer option, DreamHost-PS.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I need cURL eneble and php set_time_limit(0) working on script.

It is possible to enable cURL and set_time_limit. Refer to this article on customizing php.ini or this article on installing PHP5 from the DreamHost wiki for details.

My project is like a spider to investigate profiles on sites like myspace, orkut, facebok etc… they consume a lot bandwith with cURL and need set_time_limit(0) on script to mantain it working til the end off process that can be 1 - 20 minutes per action depending of user friends list.

Your account will not be banned as a result of this but it is likely that your script will be killed if it takes 20 minutes. Since you are able to use cron jobs at DreamHost, why not split the scripts with each taking only one minute and use crontab to run it 5 minutes later? Hope this suggestion would help.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes

thank you for the answers, I have some more doubts

they kill the process exactly in 20 minutes?

The PHP SAFE MODE by default is on or off?

[quote]they kill the process exactly in 20 minutes?
[/quote]
The exact details of how “procwatch” works have never been made public, and different people report different experiences - some much less than 20 minutes!

Safe Mode is “off” by default - you can get most of the information you need about PHP by running a phpinfo() program.

–rlparker

My experience with DreamHost is that the process will be killed if it runs continuously for more than 5-10 minutes.

Refer to my previous post for solutions to overcome both of these issues.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes