Curious if Dreamhost is IPv6 ready?

I checked my own domain on dreamhost…

Referral ns1.dreamhost.com

Asking ns1.dreamhost.com (66.33.206.206) for www.karlblessing.com (type AAAA)

Domain exists but there is no such record

Asking ns2.dreamhost.com (208.96.10.221) for www.karlblessing.com (type AAAA)

Asking ns3.dreamhost.com (66.33.216.216) for www.karlblessing.com (type AAAA)

(Type AAA means IPv6 as opposed to the IPv4 [x.x.x.x] we’re used to right now)

I just got to wondering since IPv6 will eventually be a neccessity and was wondering if dreamhost has already made plans to be ready for it, or if its a “we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it” situation.

-Karl Blessing

I can understand not being ready with the network side but not supporting IPv6 on the DNS is starting to cause me major headaches.

It would really be nice to hear some kind of timetable on this, maybe a blog post? :slight_smile:

willscorner.net

This is an area where I have little practical experience. Are web hosts actually starting to actively support IPv6? The last I had heard, this was all on the back burner where hardware and software vendors were becoming compatible and then we’d have to wait a decade or so for everything to be upgraded before anyone was going to take any real action…

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I dunno…chicken…egg…servers…network hardware. The servers seem to be the easier place to go IPv6, but without supporting hardware, it’s kind of useless.

I have found that my home and work networks of Macs all support the MyComputer.local convention. I thought that was a feature of IPv6, but I may be wrong.

-Scott

From a FAQ from the Internet Society:

[quote]Has IPv6 been added to the root servers yet?

On 4 February 2008, ICANN announced that it had added IPv6 to six of the 13 root servers, namely A, F, H, J, K, M, thus allowing for a fuller IPv6 usage of the Domain Name System (DNS).[/quote]
Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Guess it’s only a matter of time before hosting providers start migrating (ie: when ICANN gets it going smoothly).

Though I’m a little confused on the hardware portion of it, because just about every one of my computers even my 4 year old PC once I’ve installed the IPv6 protocal on the machine ( my macbook already had it installed ), they could be either self-assigned an IPv6 address or could obtain it via DHCP (though on the other hand, I don’t know of any home-based routers that has IPv6 supported in it’s firmware).

I mean I guess it’s technically really all software… but its also a matter of getting that software onto the hardware.

I just know that due to the much wider range of available addresses with IPv6 you’d think it would actually be a quite welcoming version particularly for hosting providers and internet providers.

-Karl Blessing

PS: One thing is for certain… won’t be nearly as easy to remember all your machines addresses locally off the top of your head. Hehe, tho could use IPv4 locally and IPv6 remotely :smiley:

Funny you should mention that. I noticed in my router config when I first installed it that it had IPv6 capabilities (switched off by default).

I upgraded the firmware 3 days ago and guess what… no IPv6 to be seen anymore.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

I’ve setup a page describing IPv6, why we need it, and how to implement it over at http://ipv6.dreamhosters.com

Please check it out and vote on it in the panel!