Cron jobs

Hello. Can someone help me out with this cron job? Basically, i want “www.example.com/cheese” to be backed up every day at 3AM. I want 3 copies to be kept before overwriting of the oldest copy begins on the fourth day. I know where to do this in the DH panel. I just dont know how to structure the actual command itself. Thanks.

DreamHost does create backups of all your files in the hidden “.snaphot” directory. There are 2 hourly snapshots, 2 daily snapshots and 2 weekly snapshots. Possibly these backups would be sufficient? Details at:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Automated_domain_snapshots

Did not even know they did that. Thanks! However, for future, i would still like to know what the appropriate command looks like.

I think Scott provided a reply recently on how to go about backing up a file/folder/domain on a rotating basis. You could try doing a Search and make sure to set the date thingamajig to 6 months rather than the default setting.

Failing that, I’m sure he’ll be in today to set you straight.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

That doesn’t sound familiar, but a shell script would be something like:

rotate.sh

#!/bin/bash
cd ~ # go to home directory
/bin/mv -f backup1.tar backup2.tar #rename old backup to oldest backup
/bin/mv -f backup0.tar backup1.tar #rename new backup to old backup
/bin/tar -cf example.com backup0.tar #create new backup of example.com folder

The cronjob would be:
0 3 * * * ~/rotate.sh #runs rotate script at 0 minutes after 3am every day, every month, every day of week

Personally, I rsync my entire directory from home periodically with the following script:
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/ssh me@mydomain.com ‘/usr/bin/mysqldump --all-databases -hdb.mydomain.com -uUSER1 -pPASS1 > db1.sql’ # first database
/usr/bin/ssh me@mydomain.com ‘/usr/bin/mysqldump --all-databases -hdb.mydomain.com -uUSER2 -pPASS2 > db2.sql’ # second database
rsync -avze ssh --delete ‘me@mydomain.com:.’ ‘/home/me/backups/mydomain’ # create a local mirror of my home directory w/databases
/usr/bin/ssh me@mydomain.com /bin/rm *.sql # delete database backup dump files on server

-Scott