Creating sub-directories

I want to create a directory structure to my new website, and I’m not at all sure how to do it. The KB seems mute on this score. If I create it in Dreamweaver and upload it, will DW be able to create the sub-directories it needs, or must I do something else?

And one more thing that I think is related: I installed Wordpress, and now my domain name defaults to Wordpress, which is not what I want. I’d like to have a main index page, and a Wordpress sub-dir., also separate sub-dirs for other things, all of which would be linked to off the index page.

Seems simple enough, but I can’t figure it out.

Thanks,

Tom

Yes Dreamweaver can create sub-directories on your site - or any other FTP program for that matter.

Folders work just about the same way that they do on your computer, and it’s just as easy to create them. If you create a directory when you’re FTPed into your account (under the domain.com directory) you’ll access the files in that directory by going to www.doamin.com/new_directory !

If you want wordpress to be in a subdomain, then you will need to install it there. If you use the one click install feature then you can specify a subdirectory of your doamin when installing. Somthing like domain.com/blog that way when you want to go to your blog you’ll type in www.doming.com/blog.

As far as your links go, it’s the same deal. just make the link to reflect the direcoty structure: link=“new_folder/cool page.html”

-Matttail

Thanks for the reply.

Creating folders in Dreamweaver works fine.

The WordPress install, however – not so much. I installed it into a folder I’d created for it, and the installer filled it up quite nicely. Problem is, a whole bunch of links in the PHP files are busted. They’re basically looking for WordPress to be in the root folder of the domain.

So none of the admin stuff works at all.

Meanwhile, I also can’t get my css stylesheet to work, though the link to it’s in my index file.

And when I telnet to my site, I get kicked off after I give my login name and password with a message saying “this account allows only ftp connections”.

So I’m feeling fairly frustrated all around.

Tom

As far as the FTP-only thing goes, do this:
-Go to the DreamHost control panel
-Click on ‘Users’ on the left
-For the account you want to give full shell access to (as opposed to FTP-only), click the ‘Edit’ link towards the right hand side.
-Check ‘enable ssh/telnet’

[quote]The WordPress install, however – not so much. I installed it into a folder I’d created for it, and the installer filled it up quite nicely. Problem is, a whole bunch of links in the PHP files are busted. They’re basically looking for WordPress to be in the root folder of the domain.

So none of the admin stuff works at all.[/quote]
Have you removed the MySQ tables from your first install? You can use the phpMyAdmin GUI program as well as the mysql command line client from your shell account. Look for tables with names that begin with wp_ and delete them.

Good luck!

Kathy

Worked like a charm. Thanks enormously.

That also worked like a charm. Once I figured out how to log on to my databases and use myAdmin, all was well.

Thanks to everyone for their help.