Creating New User

I went to create a new user in my domain, after my initial signup (so there was only the initial user listed). I entered the information for the new user, but was then told the user already existed. How can this be?

Thanks again!

-Eric

“How could that be?”… “How could that BE??” Nikki shrieked, incredulous that people still didn’t know…
Seriously, the admin panel sucks, that’s how. I’ve been a DH customer for two years and have many sites hosted here. I think they purposely hide the most important part of the instruction between bunches of blah blah blah. Too much instruction is just as bad as not enough. There’s a reason they’re called the “happy dream hosts”… It’s because they’re sucking all the happy from the admin panel users :] Setting up a site at a new host and using all of the features always takes some getting used to. Try it again, and I bet it works. Good luck!

[quote]I’ve been a DH customer for two years and have many sites
hosted here. I think they purposely hide the most important part
of the instruction between bunches of blah blah blah.

[/quote]

In our defense, we get just as many complaints about there being too little information. Our panel is complex enough - and provides so many different options - that it’s very difficult to document without requiring a lot of writing.

In any case, if you have specific suggestions as to how we can improve, please let us know. We don’t use the panel in the exact same ways that our users do, so any feedback you can provide is invaluable.

(Eric)

This sounds like it might be a bug. If you can, please send a message to our Support Team (from the panel: “Support” section, “Contact Support” sub-section) and let us know what page you’re on when you get this message, what the name of the username is, and any other information that might help.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Thanks Jeff, I’ll check it out again.

Nikki, if you’re that unhappy here, why don’t you try another ISP?

Since its shared hosting, isn’t he getting a username collision error and not a bug? For example my machine is vega, doesn’t that mean there can only be one of each username on vega, regardless of the domains associated with customers?

Hey Eric, if you ever ssh/telnet into your domain name, don’t be suprised when it says “Welcome to something.dreamhost.com” either.

It’s not actually by machine - usernames (for shared hosting) must be unique across a logical “cluster” of machines. Currently, the largest cluster is about 37 user machines and 6 mail machines in size.

If a username is unavailable, the panel should spit out an error saying so.

BTW, have you seen this? Playstation 2: Computational Cluster