Creating new gmail mailboxes

I’ve been trying to figure out how to create new Gmail mailboxes for our organization like name@domain.org. Since I’m a new volunteer, I don’t know how any of the current email accounts were set up. When I go to ‘Mailboxes’ under ‘Manage Account’, I see some members’ names and email addresses, which are Gmail accounts that are written as name@domain.org.

When I click ‘Add a Mailbox,’ this takes me to ‘Manage Email’, where it looks like I could easily create addresses for new members. However, when I try to do this, the drop down list for the email address doesn’t show the domain name that has already been used for the other members. When I go back to ‘Manage Email,’ there’s a warning at the bottom that says, “Note: domain.org’s won’t be accessible until you remove any custom DNS records it has related to mail (mail, webmail, or mailboxes A records or any MX records).”

I’m really confused, because there are already several Gmail addresses using this name. Could anyone explain what the problem is, or if I’m even doing the right thing to create new email accounts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you’re using GMail for the domain, you have to create new addresses through the GMail management console, which should be available when you log in to your mail. If it doesn’t, you may not be set up as an administrator for the domain — since this is all within Google’s system, we can’t change that for you. You’ll need to recover the password for an administrator to continue.