Creating a symlink for ftp use

I’ve created symlinks while I was ssh’d in but I don’t see the links when I ftp in to the same account. Is there a way to create symlinks that can be seen and used by an ftp user?

Sometimes it’s not about thinking outside the box, sometimes it’s about making things in the box fit and work better with newer technologies.

What FTP client are you using? Normally there is a setting in your client to display links or not.

Regards,
JohnnyBeGood

smartftp and I have it set to resolve links so when it gets a directory it is doing “LIST -aL” to get the list

Sometimes it’s not about thinking outside the box, sometimes it’s about making things in the box fit and work better with newer technologies.

Using “ln -s”, symlinks to directories should behave normally; just looked up some old stuff and it works well. Tested with CUTE and WRX.
If it’s a symlink to a file you’re wanting and you’re dealing with a Micro$oft client, then behavior will be somewhat less predictible. Sometimes putting a “.lnk” on the end of the symlink might help the client, sometimes not. If you’re a *nix client, then bet would be your FTP client is still somehow misbehaved.

Or, if you’re at all like me, you sometimes misplace which directory you put the symlink in.

hmm, seems that the links I am creating are not working for any ftp client I have. here is the situation

I have multiple shell users. I’ve created Unix groups in the panel, using putty, I connect up and I change the persmissions to the folders in accountB using the following commands

chgrp groupname example.com
chmod 2775 example.com

I then log in under accountA and am able to access the folder /home/accountB/example.com without problems. Write to it, remove stuff from it and all that.

while in accountA I create a link using ln -s /home/accountB/example.com example.com.lnk. I even tried -ds as an option

I ftp in under accountA, I am able to see the link, but when I try to change to that folder it gives me a message of 550: no such file or directory.

Will this not work because of it being from 2 different accounts?