Create E-Mail Users through Scripting?

Is it possible to create an email address user through a scripting language, like php?

I was wondering if we were allowed to do it/how it would be possible.

I need this for a client, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon

To my knowledge, this is not possible with the setup that DreamHost has. It is possible to give your client their own web ID so that they can create/destroy their own email addresses, but I have never done that before.

In my experience, it is always better to have the client ask you to do things like this. The more a client is reliant on you, the more likely it is that they will pay you for your services.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Ok, but…

I am creating a website for my client who needs to be able to have his staff read their e-mail through an administration panel I am creating for him, and wants to be able to create email accounts for his staff.

How would I make this work?

I don’t think you will be able to let him create email addresses for his staff, unless you give him access to the DreamHost control panel.

You can use any email client you like, including one you have built yourself, to send and receive email; however, you will need to refer to email address with their m1234567 names, rather than whatever@example.com. I have no experience of building email clients, but it sounds fun! Presumably you can use the functions documented here.

Simon Jessey
Keystone Websites | si-blog

Ok,

Thanks for the help!

Jon