Create Blog

What software do i need to create a blog on my website hosted by DreamHost?

Use WordPress. You can easily install it from the Control Panel.

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)

There are many different software packages for running blogs, almost all of which will work on Dreamhost. The easiest,and quickest, way to set up a blog on Dreamhost is to use the Control Panel–>Goodies–>One-Click installation screen to install a version of WordPress software on your site.

–rlparker

is there templetes i can use? Or do i have to design it myself? Can people comment and upload files?

as rlparker, you can install a free blog through DH panel --> Goodies --> One-Click Installs

I’ll suggest you to create a subdomain for testing first in case the installation will mess up your website.

To create a subdomain DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Add New Domain/Sub-Domain

After you have a subdomain, install wordpress in the subdomain. Have fun!

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

The DreamHost one-click install of WordPress comes with quite a few templates and you can find more by browsing the official WordPress Site.

Yes, have a look around the WordPress site, that should give you some idea of the features offered.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Do yourself a favor and go ahead and install a copy of Wordpress. Then mess with it. Play with it. Learn, screw it up, remove it and reinstall it. After a couple shots you’ll get a good handle on what you want.

Wordpress is pretty hard to beat if you want a blog but don’t really know what you want. But the most important thing is to get it running and start working with it and reading. There are lots of places to get info.

Wholly

May I use The Blog Solution?

I had a quick look at The Blog Solution website and I couldn’t see anywhere that they list the server requirements for the package, just lots of ‘testimonials’. :wink:

I imagine the requirements would be along the lines of PHP/MySQL, which should be fine at DreamHost, but if you seriously want to purchase this product, you would be best advised to contact the sellers to obtain the server requirements before buying.

To tell you the truth, the website looks very ‘spammy’ to me, it is not a product I would personally consider purchasing.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback.

You may be right on it looking cheesy/spammy?

Does dreamhost provide Wildcard subdomains?

Sincerely,

Ted

No. Well, you can ask and they can do it, but I don’t think we’ve ever seen anyone actually get it done.

Wholly

DreamHost can enable this on a case-by-case basis, but you have to have a reasonably good reason for wanting it. Unfortunately, I don’t think auto generated blogs for SEO purposes will qualify. :wink:

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Wildcard_DNS

Mark

You can add wildcard dns by going into the domain control panel and clicking on DNS. Then add a custom record with:
And the IP Address of your server.

Although, this will not work for websites. As the Apache config has to be setup by Dreamhost.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on Dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]SRVR97[/color]

I am glad you added that, as not having the appropriate ServerAlias in the Apache configuration does make the wildcard DNS entry kind of pointless. :wink:

A quote from the wiki article I linked earlier;

[color=#0000CC]“There is currently no way to set up wildcard DNS entries through the control panel (https://panel.dreamhost.com/) despite having the ability to add an asterisk () record to a hosted domain. An additional Apache ServerAlias must be to be added to the httpd.conf file for the Apache service that your domain is assigned to, and simply creating an asterisk () DNS record will not do this.”[/color]

Mark