CPAN locally

software development

Hi

I’m trying to configure CPAN locally so I can install some local modules easier than building them etc. etc. I’ve followed the CPAN man page and configured CPAN such as:

o conf makepl_arg "LIB=~/myperl/lib \ INSTALLMAN1DIR=~/myperl/man/man1 \ INSTALLMAN3DIR=~/myperl/man/man3" But the installation always fails here:

make: *** [subdirs] Error 2 /usr/bin/make -- NOT OK Running make test Can't test without successful make Running make install make had returned bad status, install seems impossible I presume that I don’t have sufficent permissions to run make on the system? Would that be true, or am I doing something drastically wrong?

Cheers

• wil

You’re drastically wrong. :>

/whacks will with a Pooh-Bah. grin

I guess I’ll need to dig up more log files of what’s going wrong to start error checking here. I want to use CPAN.pm as there are so many dependancies it drives me nutts compiling them all. It always fails with Test::More and Test::Harness for some reason. I hope I don’t need a later version of Perl …

I guess you could just install CGI::Application::ValidateRM onto soy for me and make me a really happy man :slight_smile:

But that doesn’t solve the problem in the long run. I’ll poke at it with a stick for a bit more and see what comes up. Watch this space.

• wil

If you submit a perl module request to support, they can look into installing it for you.

As far as the make error, I’m not really sure. Running the whole thing under strace might help if you can decipher the output (might show you exactly what it’s failing on). I know there are some Perl modules which are picky about having execute permissions on the whole directory structure and stuff like that.

Hi Will

It does look like that’s the problem. Test::More and Test::Harness require permissions which my login does not have on the root Perl tree. I have emailed the author of the modules to ask for his suggestion. I think the only response would be to install Perl locally. I really don’t want to start doing that if possible.

• wil