CPAN and dir permissions

software development

I attempted to install a Perl module using CPAN. It failed with the following errors:

opendir(./../../..): Permission denied at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/File/Find.pm line 597 opendir(./../../..): Permission denied at /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/File/Find.pm line 597 opendir(./../../..): Permission denied at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/File/Path.pm line 253 Can't fetch initial working directory at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/CPAN.pm line 3779 Couldn't mkdir tmp: File exists at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/CPAN.pm line 5357The problem appears to be that CPAN wants to know where the current working directory is, so, it walks up the directory tree. However, my user account does not have read permission on the parent directories.

Is there a solution to this? At work, I use CPAN to install modules all the time because it saves me the headache of manually dealing with dependencies. As such, I would like to use CPAN in my Dreamhost account.

[quote]I attempted to install a Perl module using CPAN. It failed with the
following errors:

[/quote]

You definitely wouldn’t be able to install modules directly into /usr/local, as that would have the potential to impact other customers (all sorts of bad things can happen in such a case). We can install some Perl modules for customers upon request, though this is a somewhat low priority thing - ie. it could take a few days or more to get done.

BTW, by chance is the installation of this module for UBB and/or blosxom support? If so, I think we recently upgraded it because some software packages were broken. If you have trouble with this, I’d recommend contacting support.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

I would be installing the Perl modules in my directory structure. I have manually installed modules in my directory structure before, but, the modules I want have several dependencies that make manual installation a nuisance.

No, it’s not related to either UBB or blosxom. It is just an idea I had for posting photos taken with my phone to my blog.