Could someone walk me through a phpbb migration?

I’m looking to migrate a phpbb forum to my DH space, but I’m confused on how to do this. I know how to just copy the files over, but what I’m mainly concerned about is the database. It’s around 100Mb and I was wanting to learn how to use telnet/shell access to do it. I’ve read the DH Kbase article but it still confused me. I’ve changed my user to be allowed to use shell (from the default ftp) so I think I’m ready to go. I would appreciate any help or tutorials you guys can link me to. Thank you.

I just created an article on the Site5Wiki about this. Goto:
Site5 Wiki - Migrate_mySQL

Here it is without markup:

Migrating mySQL

Migrating mySQL from one Database to Another (even across Hosts).

One Step Solution

This solution requires Shell (Telnet SSH) access to one of the hosts, AND remote access to the “other” database. mysqldump dumps the old database. -h Specifies the hostname -u the username -p the password and finally the Database name the output is sent to stout mysql loads the new database (Which must already be created). The Paramaters (for our use) are the same as mysqldump.

mysqldump -holdhost -uoldusername -poldpassword olddbname | mysql -hnewhost -unewusername -pnewpassword newdbname

Two Step Solution

This solution requires Shell (Telnet SSH) access to both hosts (but no remote access). mysqldump dumps the old database. -h Specifies the hostname -u the username -p the password and finally the Database name the output is sent to stout

mysql loads the new database (Which must already be created). The Paramaters (for our use) are the same as mysqldump. 1) Telnet to youroldhost 2) Dump the old database

mysqldump -hlocalhost -uoldusername -poldpassword olddbname > outfile.sql

1. transfer the file to the new host 4) telnet to your new host

mysql -hlocalhost -unewusername -pnewpassword newdbname < outfile.sql

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(Neither of these sites are still hosted at dreamhost)

From what I understand, that method just sends the sql db from my old host directly to the DH servers?

the one step solution would migrate the database directly from one server to the next, the two step solution (though there is more than two steps) has you making a copy of it, storing it on your HD and then re-uploading it to the DH database.

And you don’t have to have shell access with your old host to use the one step solution, just remote access of your database.

-Matttail

Yes, thats just the DB transfering part. You still need to transfer all the files as they are, and edit the config file on the new host.

-Jason

I40.com - Home Page
MP3Mystic - Personal Streaming Music server.
(Neither of these sites are still hosted at dreamhost)