Cost of IP address's?

I have several domains hosted on dreamhost, I gather that they all share an IP address, or perhaps all shared domains on the dreamhost server (without explicit ip address’s) share one IP address.

Im wondering what the cost is involved to have an IP address assigned to one or more of my domain names?

Having a IP address will help me to get my site moved from my old server to the dreamhost server. But I’d really rather not pay $xx.xx for an ip address that I won’t need once the DNS propegates.

Im just trying to move things over as seamlessly as possible with the least amount of down time as possible for our users.

Thanks,

No, in-fact if you check, you will find that most of your domains (and sub-domains) hosted at DreamHost are on different IP addresses.

Unique IP addresses can only be assigned to a single domain (or sub-domain) and cost $3.95/month.

Well, you already have an IP address, albeit a shared one. I am not sure how a unique IP will help you with the transfer.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Well, an ip address would allow me to setup the domain on the ip address instead of on the domain name, so that I can access the IP address to get everything setup and working instead of waiting till the domain name resolves to the new host (dreamhost). Then when the domain name resolves other people (strangers) would see the domain all setup on the domain name.

Very usefull for dynamic domains that have things like forums, or other interactive type things. Static domains wouldnt really benefit from it since a person could just move all static content over to a new host and it would be fine once the name resolves but with permissions, databases etc on dynamic sites, and IP address would be beneficial to get it up and running before the name resolves.

I just did something similar, and here is how I did it.

I configured DreamHost to host my existing domain (www.mydomain.com) , then set up a dreamhosters sub domain to point to it. mydomain.dreamhosters.com. Then i did all configuration and testing using mydomain.dreamhosts.com. Once everything was up and running, I changed the DNS servers for mydomain.com where the domain was actually registered.

The only people this should cause a problem for are those using the dreamhost.com domain name server as their domain name servers. I’m not 100% sure it would, but I suspect that once you tell DreamHost it is hosting the domain that it’s name servers will be pointing to the local location, and not look to the dns of record. My site I was transfering was low to no user base, and I can’t imagine many people have dreamhost set up as their main dns servers. If this is not a concern to you, this arrangement worked quickly and easily.

find/offer services free
http://www.TheHelpfulNeighbor.com
Codes:THNMax ($97) THNMaxHDD (+100%) THNMaxBW (+100% txfr) THNMaxDomains (5 free) THNBalance (20% HD&BW, 1 Domain+IP +$16)

You can actually do this anyway, even with the shared IP address, by adding your domain name and IP address to the ‘hosts’ file on your local computer, causing the domain name to resolve to the correct IP address (for you at least). You can find the shared IP allocated to your domain by checking the DNS page for the domain in the panel.

There is also the option that HelpfulNeighbor suggested, configuring a free dreamhosters.com sub-domain to mirror your real domain. This procedure is detailed in the wiki article below;

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I’ve seen this article for some times but still not sure about it. Is this correct?

1. sign up a plan with a free DH subdomain like mydomain.dreamhosters.com
  2. in manage domain section, set it up to mirror the DH subdomain to my acutal domain.
  3. now change the DNS of my actual domain to ns1.dreamhost.com ns2.dreamhost.com ns3.dreamhost.com
  4. after DNS change finishes propagating, add new domain in manage domain section.

By doing so, people are still able to view the site www.mydomain.com during the DNS propagating.

More code here Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW

The procedure is not really for others to view your site during DNS propagation, it is primarily so you can test your site before changing the DNS.

Basically, the preferred procedure is something like this. You leave the old version of the site on your previous host. You then create the DreamHost version and test using the dreamhosters.com URL, changing the DNS when things look good. This should provide a fairly seamless transition from your old host to DreamHost, as during the DNS propagation people will get a mix of the old site and the new DreamHost one, with it eventually stabilising on the DreamHost one. Of-course, this does require you to keep your old hosting plan during the transition.

Mark

ok, I got it now. thanks for clearing my doubts. :wink:

More code here Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) with [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color] SignUp NOW

Actually, there are many ways you can do this, each with its own tradeoffs.

First, let’s assume that your site is “static” or at least only modified by you. In that case, you can actually add your domain as a dreamhost domain immediately, set it up, and test it by using a local hosts file on the client machine you’re going to use for testing (your home machine, say). Sure, the DreamHost name servers will think that your domain is hosted at DreamHost while your old provider’s DNS server will say otherwise, but this doesn’t matter at this point because the registrar will say that your old provider is the official name server for the domain. After you get everything set up, you change the name servers for your domain. As the change propagates, part of the world will point to the old site and part will point to the new site, but no one will know the difference because you’ve done a great job and both are identical!

Now if your site is transactional and has users who submit posts to a board, comments to your blog, etc, you have to disable updates while you copy your databases and user-contributed image directory and other stuff over. Then you can enable updates on your new site after the copy is complete.

Alternatively, you could put up a maintenance notice on your old site while transition everything over, then change the name server when the new site is ready to go.

There’s lots of ways to skin this cat like the ones suggested by previous posters and I’m sure that others can come up with even better solutions.

Welcome to the DreamHost community!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Did I miss anything? From what I learnt in the forum, we can’t add domain to DH if the DNS is not pointed to DH.

Ah, that’s what one might think, but you can!

It just that no one can get to the site without using a custom hosts file until either the nameservers for the domain are set to the DreamHost nameservers or the DNS record for the domain is pointed at the DreamHost server you’re assigned to (you can change the registrar for the site as well, technically).

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LENSMANFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LENSMAN97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

You can add the domain to the hosting system, with or without configuring the DNS, but the domain will not be publicly accessible until you change the DNS.

Mark

thanks lensman and mark.

Let me clarify what I understand.

We can add the domain in DH panel before we point DNS to dreamhost.

We can upload the files and set up the website in DH before we point DNS to dreamhost.

After finishing set up the website in DH, point DNS to dreamhost from domain registrar.

While DNS change is propagating, people are still able to view the site.

Am I right? Is this what lensman suggested?

Yes, this is correct.

Yes this is correct, as pointed out above there are several ways to do this, my favourite being a dreamhosters.com sub domain.

Correct.

Yes, while the DNS is propagating, visitors can be server with either the old site, or the new site until such time that the propagation has completed.

Hot Product Directory | Get Around The Net Directory

Yes, but, until the DNS has completely finished propagation, some people will be viewing the old site, while others will be viewing the new site.

I think you’ve got it now. :wink:

Mark

thanks thanks lensman, shonky, and mark.

You’ve cleared my doubts. I’m happy to learn something new today :stuck_out_tongue: