Copy my site

I currently own a web site hosted by DreamHost. I recently purchased a similar domain name so I could break-up my current site into 2 seperate shopping sites under different names, but with the same shopping cart configuration etc…

I want to copy my current site exactly as is, post the copy under the new domain name, then kind of work backwards modifying the new one a bit to fit my needs. I want the current site to remain as is.

I know there has to be a simple way to copy then upload the new site, but how?

well, here’s the basics of what you’d need to do. Add the new domain into the panel, then using SSH copy all of your files from site1.com to site2.com. (see wiki article on SSH). To do this you’d use the command:
cp -rf site1.com/* site2.com

Next you’ll need another database, set that up through the panel. Then dump the data out of site1’s database and fill it into site2’s database. See wiki article on ‘migrate mysql’ for help on that one.

Then you’ll have to edit configuration files for your stuff at site2.com to point to the new database. With luck, and perhaps a little tweaking you should have two running copies of your domains.

Let me know if you need further explination.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I’m following your instructions and am on it today, I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ll be back if/when I get stuck. Thanks so much for the help!