COOKIES and MySQL Workbench Configuration

Help, please! I have successfully configured PuTTy and MySQL Administrator with the help of this wiki, but I would like to try MySQL Workbench. I am new to this and am overwhelmed with the configuration end. I am wondering if anyone uses Workbench on Linux, and, if so, would mind sharing how to set it up to work with DH. (i.e., set up a new server instance and new connection.) (Do I still need to use PuTTy?) I have it installed on Debian 7. I can pay in cookies. (Chocolate chip, that is.) A walk-through like the one on the MySQL wiki would be extremely helpful!

No, you do not need to use Putty…that is for lowly Window$ users because Windows is…!@#$

Open MySQL Workbench
bottom-left>New Connection
Give Connection a name
For starters, just keep the TCP/IP setting
hostname: is your database host (for example: mysql.yourdomain.com )
keep port at 3306
username: the db username for the db you want to connect to that has permissions to connect form outside
Test Connection button will ask for your password…put password in…did it work?

If that all works nicely, then we can take that one step further and use TCP/IP over SSH, but first report back if you get this connecting okay.

Thanks sierracircle! Yes, that works. I was also able to connect with SSH and see my databases. Could you walk me through the import/export process?

Honestly I find it faster to import/export using a terminal and SFTP with Nautilus (but you could use whatever SFTP client)

so, assume my domain is: cheeseball.com and MySQL domain is: mysql.cheeseball.com
my SSH/FTP user is: cheese_admin
my database is named: cheese_db
my database user is: cheese_dbadmin
okay!
from terminal: ssh cheese_admin@cheeseball.com
asks for password

connects, tells you some info…bla blah…

EXPORT::::
from terminal: mysql --user=cheese_dbadmin --password=yourpassword --host=mysql.cheeseball.com cheeseball_db < cheeseball.sql

now if you SFTP into your root folder you will see a file called cheeseball.sql , that is your dump, or export file

IMPORT::::(works exactly the same way)
from terminal: mysql --user=cheese_dbadmin --password=yourpassword --host=mysql.cheeseball.com cheeseball_db > cheeseball.sql

I also have a nice backup script that will backup all of your databases to the free 50gb storage that DreamHost gives you.

Thanks, sierracircle. I’ve been intimidated by shell commands, but it seems like that’s the way to go. Could you explain the difference between:

(your export command)
mysql --user=cheese_dbadmin --password=yourpassword --host=mysql.cheeseball.com cheeseball_db < cheeseball.sql

and

(DH backup command)
mysqldump --opt --user=username --password=password --host=yourMySQLHostname dbname > output.sql

I noticed the “>” is in a different direction.