Conueries

software development

Just an odd thing i noticed, the comparison chart no longer has the conueries limit on the sign up page… but it still has the price for additional conueries… why is this?

Are dreamhost:-

a) getting rid of the conueries nightmare or
b) hiding this from potential customers by not showing there is a limit?

www.rawkstar.net

Out of curiosity, what is nightmarish about conueries?

• wil

[quote]a) getting rid of the conueries nightmare or

[/quote]

I’m not sure what is nightmarish about conueries (IMHO they’ve mostly served their intended purpose of making people consider the impact their scripts have on other customers and ensure that light MySQL users are not forced to subsidize heavy ones), but we are making some changes - a hybrid of our old system and the conuery system. In a nutshell:

• We’re still going to track conueries.

• We’re removing the conuery limit.

• We still expect users to be considerate of others and to make efforts to not overload our database servers.

• We still reserve the right to ask you not to run any process that monopolizes resources (either MySQL, CPU, memory, or a combination thereof). This is and always has been in our TOS.

I think Josh will be “officially” announcing this in the next newsletter, but basically we still recommend that you carefully tune your scripts to be respectful of other users’ ability to host their sites, but we’re not going to be quite as hard-line unless it becomes a problem.

Why he didn’t also remove the conuery overage cost, I don’t know. He must have forgotten about it.

[quote]b) hiding this from potential customers by not showing there is
a limit?

[/quote]

gasp!

Why do you think we’d do a thing like that? That’d be pretty slimy. Is that what you think of us?!

:>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Whoops, that was just an oversight not removing the overage price! It’ll be gone on monday when we next push out changes!

dur.

josh!

Nightmarish for unique visitors… mostly for news type sites, and ones with popular forums (mine isn’t yet!! :smiley: but one day i hope it is… )

I agree with the tracking and making sure people don’t abuse it.

gasp!

Why do you think we’d do a thing like that? That’d be >pretty slimy. Is that what you think of us?!

[/quote]

Nah… i just put these cheeky thing in to be contraversial… (i can’t spell!!)

:slight_smile:

www.rawkstar.net

http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/ - still has the conueries limit on it too!

www.rawkstar.net

Ha! It’s a good thing we have customers to do our work for us!

I’ve removed it from that page now too…

josh!

I don’t believe there is such a thing as ‘unlimited’ - it just means the limit is either (1) not strictly defined or (2) unknown.

There are advantages to (1) of course - some judgement, common sense, consideration etc. can be applied. Maybe they outweigh the disadvantage in (2).

Still, having moved a database onto Dreamhost a couple of days ago, I’d be interested to know if a 6.674 MCn cycle estimate is likely to be a problem. (I expect the usage is fairly typical, so the estimate should be reasonably good.)

[quote]Still, having moved a database onto Dreamhost a couple of days
ago, I’d be interested to know if a 6.674 MCn cycle estimate is
likely to be a problem. (I expect the usage is fairly typical, so the
estimate should be reasonably good.)

[/quote]

Assuming the script that is generating these conueries isn’t otherwise causing problems (in which case, we’d contact you), no - 6.674 is no problem at all.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Although I love the way php and mysql automate the presentation of content, I’m paranoid about over-using mysql. What’s the average usage? How do I know if I’m being “inconsiderate?” In other words, what’s too much? Also, under “show processes” in phpmyadmin, is this where to check for if queries are running on and on… and on? 'Cause it only shows me the single query I’m using to show processes each time I look. Just want to make sure nothing’s out of control.

~Michelle

chell,

In answer of your question in the panel.dreamhost.com under mysql in goodies you can get reports of you current monthly conuries (sic) much like you can get bandwidth and disk usage reports.

When I first started to setups forums, and generate dynamic web content I ‘worried’ about the impact on server load on the ‘shared’ servers I was hosted on.

What I really like about the dreamhost conuries (sic) is that I can measure my usage and realise that I had nothing to worry about at all.

In my opinion a good host is one that allows you to regulate yourself, and for that you need usage information.

One of the reasons why I signed up with dreamhost except for the newsletters, is that they were the only host I could find with clear guidelines on mysql usage and ways to monitor it.

I signed up a week ago with the belief that there was a cap on mysql usage per month, I was unhappy with that the last two hosts I have been with have had terrible reliability on their mysql access from over loading.

As it turns out there are no defined limits, but I like the idea that very heavy users can be informed by Dreamhost to have a look at their mysql access and try to optimise it rather than causing other users on the server suffer.