Continuous build system

software development

Hi.

I would like to setup a small continuous build system for a project on DreamHost and I’m wondering if this is allowed.

The project is java based, the build should not take more than 10 minutes on an Athlon64 3500 processor. I would like to run it from a cron job one or two times a day, so it should not take too much resources.

Anyone is doing something like that ?
What do you think ?

Regards,
M.

When I saw “java based”, I know it is not possible in DH because DH is running Unix.

Update: I did a search in google. You can set up JAVA environment in Unix but I doubt you have the access to install that in shared server. I’m not sure about PS. Probably we should knock DH support’s door.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

AFAIK, DH is running on Debian that isn’t exactly Unix. And java is available, at least from my account. Anyway this should not be a problem since I can always install it on my home directory.

I’ll certainly contact DH support before setting up something like that, I don’t want that my account is canceled for breaking the term of service.

I’m just seeking for some advice.

Regards,
M.

_!)@(&&$#^!(@&$(*#)@#

Then go ahead and set it up. Just make sure it won’t consume all the resources and kill the server and it should be fine.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Java does work on Linux, Sun has had the JRE available for some time, and there’s also Blackdown (or there was) which makes a JRE.

As far as running this on Dreamhost, you’ll want to get a PS for this since during this time you’re likely to take up a lot of the CPU time. Being on a shared server would be unpleasant to your neighbors, and we like everyone to get along. :smiley:

• Greg
  • DreamHost Technical Support

[quote]As far as running this on Dreamhost, you’ll want to get a PS
for this since during this time you’re likely to take up a lot
of the CPU time. Being on a shared server would be
unpleasant to your neighbors, and we like everyone to get
along. :smiley:

[/quote]

Well, PS is too expensive for me, even in its lowest configuration, at least at this stage (I’m just experimenting).

Is there a way to make sure that the process doesn’t use too much CPU time ? Maybe using the nice command ? I don’t care if it takes more than 10 minutes to run, if this means that it doesn’t hog the server.

Regards,
M.

You do realize that you’re talking about a lot of CPU time, right? I mean, it’s a web server we’re talking about here.

What are you trying to do with the continuous build system and why can’t you do it on your local box?

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!