Content encoding error / Can no longer use SSI to call PHP

Hi all,

A page on my site has suddenly become inaccessible: the error Firefox 3.0.3 gives is “Content encoding error”, and IE 7 just returns the standard “Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage” message.

The scope of DH Support only allows them to help me pinpoint the cause of the error to a virtual include command (a call to a PHP script) used in the page.

The ‘offending’ command appears in this format (without the //): <//!–#include virtual="/path/script.php"–//>
I do not understand why the command is causing problems now when it has been working fine for 4, 5 years. Has something changed on the server, perhaps? SSI calls for other types of files, such as HTML header and footer, do not seem to pose a problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
marsbar

Just in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue, here is an update on the situation: DH Support has solved the problem by disabling compression on my site.

• marsbar

I am experiencing the same problem. I think it is due to DH moving my sites from Apache 1.3.x servers to Apache 2.x servers…

Do you know if there is a way to disable compression myself? Is it an Apache setting or a PHP setting?