Contemplating dreamhost? avoid at all costs!

Read below a list of dreamhost disasters. Clearly the place is run to react rather than anticipate. ALL THOSE CONTEMPLATING JOINING DREAMHOST DONT’ DO IT. THERE ARE PLENTY OF LO-COST PROVIDERS THAT HAVEN’T HAD THIS RECORD OF DISASTERS. Google “cheap webhosting” and you’ll get links such as this: http://b2evolution.net/web-hosting/budget-web-hosting-low-cost-lamp.php

Good Luck

A disastrous power outage incident[10] in August of 2006 led to a frank account of what happened by Josh Jones that set a particular tone for the future. It was followed by the creation of a status site dedicated to detailing server maintenance and outages.[11][12]

2007 Security Issue
According to the company,[13] the control panel was thought to have been partly to blame for a June 2007 incident in which approximately 3,500 FTP account passwords were compromised, at a time when the company took care of more than 500,000 domains.[14] Customers were notified by email, and a few found their sites had been altered to deliver malware. Upon further investigation, new evidence came to light that cast doubt on the theory that the control panel was responsible.[15]

2008 Billing Issue
On January 15, 2008, the billing system was mistakenly used to bill users up to December 2008. Josh Jones had intended to bill any accounts that had failed to be billed in late December 2007 due to an upgrade discrepancy, but he entered “2008” instead of “2007”.[16] This resulted in erroneous charges of $2.1 million, out of the $9.6 million in total that was billed.[17]

Most users were inconvenienced, especially those who had automatic billing enabled, causing bank accounts and credit cards to become overdrawn or incur charges.[18] Many accounts were automatically suspended due to an inability to pay the erroneous bill, which led their websites to go down. The comic tone in which Jones announced the error drew criticism,[19] and some users have canceled their accounts.[20] As DreamHost tried to undo the billing, some accounts that were not billed received refunds, while accounts that were billed did not receive them.[17][16]

Some subscribers still have not received refunds.[21] In a blog entry, DreamHost indicates that it will pay for overdraft, bounced check and NSF fees, and give affected users the same amount of credit on their DreamHost accounts, for customers who document such charges.[22]

Are your footnotes supposed to actually go somewhere?

Hey, I wrote a lot of that stuff you just ripped off from Wikipedia wholesale.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

… that explains the footnotes. I should have guessed. =/

Well bushbot, should I send you a copyright infringement fee?

Hey, no namecalling on the forums!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

What are it be this PediaWiki thing which of your talk? Not I know such of place to where great story be to found! Since you are to be righter of story, tell to me you can maybe how find I this PediaWiki? I want there go to read and many things learn!

–rlparker-has-had-a-stroke

That’s well written sc. Top stuff.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Oh look, a spammer promoting an affiliate link dump. That’s never been done before!

And who would have guessed your list of great hosts have the highest affiliate payouts? Talk about coincidence!!!

I’m bored, so I guess I’ll pull the affiliate codes from all your redirects and send a bunch of spam complaints to the hosts. If they’re great companies like you claim, surely they won’t hesitate to terminate spammed affiliate accounts.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

This forum is for people who are curious about DreamHost. If you are not, shut up.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Sure. A one-time payment of GTFO should just about cover it :wink:

wtf is a “bushbot” anyway? Is that another term for the cylindrical mechanical device GIBS keeps in her nightstand drawer (that seems to have a mind of its own and keeps me awake some nights)? :open_mouth:

–rlparker

I think the term bushbot is used mainly in reference to someone with an insane uber-devotion to Gee Dubya. While a bushbot could possibly serve a similar purpose as the aforementioned cylindrical device, I’d think the latter would be far less annoying.

Unless you’re a direct descendant of Leopold von Sacher-Masoch of course.