Contact!

I don’t have a hosting account, I’m the web designer. I can’t believe that there is no 24/7/365 phone or chat support. I’ve never heard of that with a website hosting company. There is a problem with our site and I can’t call anyone to troubleshoot. I can’t even email. My client has to email and they still haven’t even heard back yet.

I suggest getting a much, much more accessible and better customer and tech support (of course, the sales team is more accessible). Make it available to everyone and actually make your goal to be to HELP your customers. I’m not trying to be bitchy, but we’ve been trying to get a response for a few weeks now. It’s so ridiculous and I’m furious. The site needed to be launched today because of an ad coming out and we’ve been having problems for some time now. It’s totally unacceptable.

Just thinking through the logic of this for a moment.

(1) The majority of customers don’t need customer support. Is that true? I don’t know, but I think it might be.

(2) Providing customer support adds up to a significant proportion of a web hosting company’s costs. Also don’t know if that’s true, but it might be.

Anyway, if both of those are true, then a web hosting company that managed to drive away those customers who need customer support could provide good service for low prices for the large number of remaining customers who are willing to do without customer support.

Google (which provides no customer support, and charges nothing) might be the pioneer of this approach.

You can get webhosting cheaper, and more expensive, than dreamhost, and some will offer support by phone, I’m sure.

I also find it quite reasonable that only the person or company having the webhosting account can contact support regarding that webhosting account. That the company does not give you that access cannot be a problem for dreamhost.

And last, but not least, I would not contact dreamhost by email for that kind of support - you would be much better off going through the control panel. Always worked for me.

As a matter of policy, we can only give information on, or make changes to, a customer’s account if the person making the request is associated with the account. Right now it sounds like you aren’t on your client’s account, so we can’t do anything for you.

If you are going to be working on your client’s account, your client should give you access to the account using the Users > Account Privileges section of the panel. This will allow you to log into the panel to contact DreamHost support, as well as to make some changes to the account directly.