Confused about test site

Hi,

I currently have a WordPress blog running on one of my domains (UF.net) and I am now developing the site into a fully fledged Joomla site (with the blog attached). The problem is I’m not clear on the best place to put my site whilst it is in development.

Do I:

1 Create the Joomla site on another domain, or even a subdomain and then re-point UF.net to it?

2 Create Joomla site in a folder on UF.net and then move it once it is finished?

3 Move the blog to a subfolder and re-point the site to that folder whilst I build in the main folder, then re-point to main folder once finished?

4 Build in main folder and call my index page index-test?

I am a skilled designer but when it comes to the server stuff I fall down!

What do you think?

Setup whatever is going to be the end product landing page in the domain root, then have peripherals (forum, gallery, etc.) in directories within the domain directory. A clear hierarchy is much easier to manage.

During your development phase you could use a subdomain with a strict robot.txt or .htaccess allowing access from only your IP until it’s ready to go live, then simply copy the content over into the final domain root and edit the .htaccess restriction to allow everyone to view it.

Don’t use panel redirects, just edit the configs to work within your final structure.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Can you explain how to go about doing a “strict” robot.txt for a test subdomain, please? Pretty new to robot.txt in general…

Thanks so much!

Deb

robots.txt :

User-agent: * Disallow: / The above instructs Google to not look at any files/directories.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Much appreciated!

Deb