Configuring Thunderbird

Hello.

I’m trying to configure Mozilla Thunderbird, but cannot get it to work. Can anyone give me some tips?

According to the instructions in my web panel, I should check the use authentication box. When I try to download email, I get a message “Mailserver does not support secure authentication.” When I uncheck that box and try to get mail, I get the message "Sending of password did not succeed. Mailserver “mail.xxxxxxx.com responded: Login failed” where the xxx’s are my domain name. I know the password is correct, I’ve used the same password to get my mail through webmail. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

You can find an excellent setup guide in the wiki:
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Thunderbird

The thing to be aware of is that you should not use a “secure connection” (SSL), and you should know your “mailbox name” (typically in the format of m1234567). Enter this mailbox name as the username for the mail server.

If this doesn’t help you, then please respond with details about your setup and what kind of errors you get.

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDChoose a plan!

Thanks Torben! That did the trick. Sorry for the cross post, I didn’t get any replies to a previous post so I wasn’t sure which forums were active, etc. Won’t happen again.

Chris

You can view all new&changed posts in the past 24 hours, and many users do that.
Also remember to search in the knowledge base and in the wiki before you ask. It might be answered already, and usually is :slight_smile:

TorbenGB
Try out DreamHost with a free WebIDChoose a plan!