Configuring Gmail for Own Domain

I recently got accepted as a beta user for Gmail for own Domain. I have 2 Issues.

1. I tried configuring the MX records and I see the 404 Error page instead of the Gmail login page (before it used to be the Squirrel Mail login). I would like to know if I have done anything incorrectly for my account with the directions listed below. Is there a time lag for this configuration set up? (15 minutes have gone by)
  2. I would like to configure IMAP support with a client like Outlook with use with the Gmail interface (which hasn’t popped up yet…from item #1). The Gmail for the Domain comes with a built in POP3 support but I’d like to use Dreamhost’s IMAP support if possible. Can someone explain how this can be done?

=========MX DIRECTIONS==========
Procedures for changing MX records vary greatly from ISP to ISP. The instructions here are meant only as a general guide.

1. Login to your ISP using the username and password associated with your domain.
  2. Navigate to an MX record maintenance page. MX records are special DNS (Domain Name Service) records, and are often located under sections titled “DNS Management,” “Mail Server Configuration,” or “Name Server Management.” You may need to turn on advanced settings to allow editing of these MX records.
  3. Delete any existing MX records before entering new MX records.
  4. For each MX record, enter information according to the entries in the following table.
    You may not be allowed to enter the priority values exactly as they appear in the table below; in that case, simply ensure that the server addresses are prioritized in the same order as they appear in the table. (i.e. The priority ranking [1, 3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 5] should work just as well as [1, 5, 5, 10, 10, 10, 10] so long as you keep the addresses in the right order.)

If you’re asked to specify the type of each record you’re adding, enter “MX”.

MX records often require the specific format of DNS records, including a trailing dot (".") at the end of any full-qualified domain names (e.g. “server.example.com.”)

Set any TTL values to the maximum allowed.

MX Server address Priority
ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 1
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 5
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 5
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10
ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 10

1. Log in to your account at http://www.enom.com.
  2. Click the domain name that you’d like to use with Gmail for your domain. The main domain name page will appear.
  3. Under the DNS Settings (Zone File) panel, click Configure. The Domain Name Host Records page will appear.
  4. Under the Mail Host Records Setup panel, replace any existing entries with entries according to the table below:

Note: Make sure each entry is entered exactly as it appears in the following table. Be sure to include the trailing dot at the end of each record.
Address Pref
ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 10
ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 20
ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 30
ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 40
ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 50
ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 60
ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 70

1. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

2. Log in to your account at http://www.networksolutions.com.

3. Click Edit DNS under DNS Settings. The Edit DNS page will appear. (If you have not previously edited DNS entries for your domain name, you may need to select Custom DNS Setting.)

4. Under the DNS Manager-Advanced Tools panel, click Continue. The DNS Manager - Advanced Tools page will appear.

5. Under the Mail Servers panel, click Add / Edit. The Mail Servers table will appear.

6. Remove any existing MX records by checking the box next to delete.

7. Within the Mail Servers table, enter information according to the table below:

Note: Make sure each entry is entered exactly as it appears in the following table. Be sure to include the trailing dot at the end of each record.
Priority Mail Server
10 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
20 ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
30 ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.
40 ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
50 ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
60 ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.
70 ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

1. Click Save.

2. Log in to your account at http://www.godaddy.com.

3. Open the Domains tab and select My Domain Names. You’ll be directed to the Manage Domains page.

4. Click the domain that you’d like to use with Gmail for your domain.

5. From the Domain Details panel along the right, select the icon under the Total DNS Control list item. A sub-list will appear.

6. Click the entry titled Total DNS Control And MX Records. The Manage MX Records, and DNS Zone File panel will appear.

7. Click Launch Total DNS Control Manager. The DNS Manager window will appear.

8. Clear all existing MX Records by clicking Delete.

9. Click OK in the confirmation dialogue box.

10. Once you’ve deleted all existing records, click Add New MX Record. The MX (Mail Exchangers) Record Wizard will appear.

11. For each MX Record, enter information according to the data in the table below:
    For the Select the Priority Value drop-down menu, enter the priority value.
    For Enter a Host Name, leave the default setting to @.
    For Enter Goes To Address enter the Gmail server name in the table below. Be sure to include the trailing dot at the end of each record.
    For the Select TTL Value drop-down menu, enter 1 Week. This will appear as 604800 seconds within the DNS system.

PriorityValue HostName Goes To Address (Mail Server) TTL Value
10 @ ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 1 week
20 @ ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 1 week
30 @ ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM. 1 week
40 @ ASPMX2.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 1 week
50 @ ASPMX3.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 1 week
60 @ ASPMX4.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 1 week
70 @ ASPMX5.GOOGLEMAIL.COM. 1 week

1. Click Continue.
  2. Click Add to confirm each entry. The DNS Manager main page will reappear when you’ve finished.

After you change your MX records, it may take up to a day before we can detect the change. Sorry, but sometimes the Internet is slow… even for us.

damn lucky u. i applied for the beta testing but never got a reply back. lucky u!

Use the coupon code [color=#CC0000]FIVEZEROOFF[/color] when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant [color=#CC0000]$50 off[/color]!

I’m always the last one to know. I would love to use gmail for one of my domains instead of the e-mail DH gives sigh. I signed up for it just now but I doubt I’d get in unless they started opening it up to other users bleh.

The Insane Cabbit
Blog: http://www.sounanda.com
Store: http://www.marciesgifts.com
PM for CMS or forum install.
[color=#CC0000]$97 Off[/color] with promo code pixiedust

I’d be interested in this as well, particularly as the Gmail instructions say to delete previous MX records, and the default MX records at DreamHost are listed as being uneditable.

-ghp

catch-all@domain.com forward to user@gmail.com. :slight_smile:

That’s what I do. I use gmail for all my person domain email. :wink:

Yeah but it’s not the same lol. I don’t like catch-all accounts anyway. If you have something common like webmaster, etc, you get bombarded by spam a lot of the time.

The Insane Cabbit

gmail’s actually really good at filtering out majority of the spam. I had to kill my catch-all due to spammers trying to use my domain name for their email. Removing the catch-call will stop “user is valid” validation checks some SMTP servers use.

I just pick key email addresses that I do use and forward them all to a primary account now and forward that account to gmail.

ie: anemail@domain.com => primary@domain.com
primary@domain.com => gmail

It’s a couple hops, but I hadn’t noticed any delay in email from it. And it keeps it to just one email address forwarding to gmail.

So does anyone know how to edit and make sure the MX Records are conformed to Gmail’s parameters? Right now I’m getting a 404 page error instead of the expected Gmail login page or the default Squirrelmail page :frowning:

Before purchasing dreamhost, I specificially asked the dreamhost people about Gmail/Live mail for own domain and they said that MX records can be modified to adopt the systems. I am hoping this is still the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this urgent matter.

I’m not real familiar with stuff like this, but I think the first thing to see is where webmail.example.com is resolving to. Are you still getting a dreamhost IP, or google?

-Matttail

I’m not sure how one can check where the url is resolving to, but when I go to webmail.gkumar.org, it loads a dreamhost url but it could be forwarding to google. How can one check?

One, MX records have nothing to do with what your browser sees. So changing your MX record will do nothing to webmail.domain.com being entered into your address bar.

I don’t see anywhere within Google’s letter where it talks about changing the webmail URL. You sure they support that?

I wonder if this guy got it working. I didn’t see anything that said about changing the url either. I just think that you won’t be able to use it. It would be better if someone could log into mail.domain.com and see the gmail login (that you can configure and what not) but it does not seem that this is possible right now. At least I couldn’t find anything in my e-mail to state that it was.

It didn’t take me too long to be approved as a beta tester. I wonder what one of the other guys who was trying wrote on the application :wink:

The Insane Cabbit

I have gmail for my domain too and currently experiencing the same issue. My mail is still getting routed to DH. I am pretty sure the issue is the priority 0 records. If I do a dig -t MX mydomain.com I still see the DH records listed firsts so I submitted a ticket to have these removed. I am pretty sure that will fix the issue.

I was able to get it working just fine with no ticket using the MX section of the Control Panel.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=mail.mx&

Click “Edit” next to the domain you are attempting to setup Gmail for. Under “Custom MX Records” insert the Gmail MX info (format is “priority mx” for example “1 ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM”). Uncheck “I still want DreamHost to accept email for this domain.”. Update.

It will take a while for it to go through, but it seemed to work for me.

• billy

Yea it was my fault I didn’t notice they had a MX records section also not just a DNS record section. Using the specific MX record section will do what you need it to do.