Completely Locked out of my Account. Help!

Hi All,

I have a really difficult problem. Hopefully someone from Dreamhost reads this and can help us.

I created a website for a company called IHS and I set them up their own Dreamhost account. I used their contact information to set up the account. Their site is currently down, but now needs to be put up, because the company is officially open for business.

Our problem sounds simlpe at first. Someone changed the password to the control panel, and no one knows what it is. I need that password so I can login to the panel and get ftp access so I can upload their website.

Here’s where it gets tricky. The email address that I used to set up their account is no longer active. To further complicate the issue, the company no longer owns the domain that that email address was set up on.

We’ve sent in a support ticket through support@dreamhost.com, but we can’t seem to get the security questions right. We would be glad to provide any documentation to prove ownership of the domain, but Dreamhost security seems to need to stick to their protocols to ensure security. I’m sure this could be resolved with a phone call, but Dreamhost doesn’t appear to operate like that.

I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I’m considering closing the account. But how can I do that if I can’t login to the panel and explicitly cancel my account?

You could try eliminating DH Security from the equation by contacting the current owner of the old mail domain and ask if they’d temporarily reestablish the email address you used while signing up, then use the Forgot Password function at the Panel doorstep. Once inside you can alter the email to your current one and change the Panel password.

How are you paying for the domain still? You should be able to provide the credit card information and that should get you access.

jkies00, I’m glad to see you’re now in communication with our Abuse team regarding this issue. If you need anything else in the meantime, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Thanks!

So I had to circumvent the ‘abuse’ team. They were not able to help us, and their response times were just way to slow for our timeline.

For the record, my options were narrowed down to two unappealing ones, because no one in support was really able to help us.

Option one was to move to a new host, and just let payment on the Dreamhost account expire.

Option two was pure luck. The old domain was still available. I bought it, and set up the old email address on the old domain, and used the password reset to get back in. If the old domain were not available, we would have been completely out of luck.

Maybe there is a way for Dreamhost to offer some additional means of account verification? Maybe there is not; I don’t know. I can’t imaging no one has ever encountered these circumstances before though.

In the panel you should click “Edit Profile” and then the “security” tab and update your secret question and answer. This is exactly what this is for.

Glad you got it worked out.