Compiling PHP with LightSpeed web server

software development

I’ve installed the LightSpeed webserver on my DreamHost account and I’m running into the following error when I try to compile PHP from the LightSpeed admin UI “buildconf: autoconf not found.
You need autoconf version 2.13 or newer installed
to build PHP from CVS.
make: *** [buildmk.stamp] Error 1”

I’ve manually installed autoconf several times and I’m wondering if I’m installing it in the wrong place or if there is something else I need to do to get this to work?

The first thing to do is to make sure that autoconf is available in your $PATH. You can do this by typing `echo $PATH’ into your shell and making sure that you get the directory where you installed autoconf listed. If it’s not there, you’ll need to modify your $PATH before you continue.

More importantly, unless you’re on a PS or dedicated server, you’re probably not going to have any luck running LightSpeed. The LightSpeed web server is a full replacement for Apache which means that in order to run it, you’d need to have it running as a permanent daemonized process and listening on a port; both of which are not allowed under a shared hosting setup. What’s more, even if you do have a PS, I think those have Apache running by default, so you’d either need to find some way to deactivate Apache (not sure if that’s possible) or run LightSpeed on a non-standard port (which your users might not like). It’s up to you how to press forward, of course, but you might want to give a bit more thought to the overall feasibility of what you’re trying to do.

Hi Alpicola,
Thanks for your help. I’ve typed in echo $PATH and what is returned is: /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
Not sure exactly what the last bit is about (X11:/usr/games?), but I do see a folder named bin that does have the following inside:
aclocal autoconf autom4te automake-1.10 autoscan ifnames
aclocal-1.10 autoheader automake autoreconf autoupdate

I am using Dreamhost’s PS server service and will set up a proxy for the entire domain to port 8088 as per the instructions found here: http://yui-life.com/2008/optimizing-dreamhost-ps-cpu-and-memory-usage-by-installing-litespeed-web-server/

What are the issues that my users may encounter if the site is set up as a proxy to port 8088?

Thanks for your help!