Command line

It has been years since I used Linux. DreamHost appears to be using Debian. How do I log into the command line? I’m planning to install CiviCRM.

I’m referring to TelNet, of course. (How soon we forget this stuff!)

Don’t use telnet, it is now considered insecure.

The new protocol is SSH, which not only encryts the connection but you can use a public key to login instead of typing in a password all the time.

See http://wiki.dreamhost.com/PuTTY

:cool: openvein.org -//-

OK, I got that far now. But issuing the command “sudo tar xzvf -/civicrm-2.2-drupal.tar.gz” results in “woodyjones in not in the sudoers permissions directory.” (I’m user woodyjones.)

Are these roadblocks likely to continue? If so, I may need to find someone more familiar with DreamHost to help me install CiviCRM Standalone.

[quote]OK, I got that far now. But issuing the command “sudo tar xzvf -/civicrm-2.2-drupal.tar.gz” results in “woodyjones in not in the sudoers permissions directory.” (I’m user woodyjones.)

Are these roadblocks likely to continue? If so, I may need to find someone more familiar with DreamHost to help me install CiviCRM Standalone.[/quote]
Are you trying to follow Standalone Installation Guide ???

Their requirements are leave out some details. First of all, their example commands assume you have superuser status. Also they don’t mention if you need to run PHP as a module or if PHP-CGI is ok.

As the error message says, you don’t have superuser status so you need to drop the “sudo” command. Also ignore requests to modify ownership to that of the web server user (‘dhapache’ at DreamHost). The reason for that is that DreamHost no longer supports running PHP as an Apache module and PHP scripts must belong to the domain user because they will be run as PHP-CGI using suexec.

:cool: openvein.org -//-

Yes, I want to install it in Standalone mode. Drupal’s directory structure is highly annoying; all I want to do is build a website with DreamWeaver and CiviCRM. I hope that’s possible.

I’ll try it without “sudo.” Thanks.

Finally! It installed, but not without a lot more pain!