Code Monster Sale

Is the Code Monster sale available to existing customers? I have a Sweet Dreams plan and would love a Code Monster plan at the same rate… :slight_smile:

Yes it is.

From the details on the main site:

• This offer is good for all customers, NEW and OLD alike.

Thanks for the info!

I have a code monster account. Is there anyway of getting the lower price without have to open up a new account?

Yes - you can “upgrade / downgrade” to the new plan in the panel under Billing => Services.

[/quote]

Damn! I wish I known that before I signed up for the Code Monster account on top of the Strictly Business account I already have. I guess I assumed that you (DH) wouldn’t make it that easy.

My plan was to get the new much cheaper account, transfer domains to it, and then close the Strictly Business account. Looks like I could have saved myself some hassles had I asked first.

Do I still have any options at this point?

Well if you didn’t put anything on the new plan yet, you can just close the new one, and then downgrade your SB plan. Actually, either way, this is probably your best option. Moving stuff between plans or accounts tends to cause lots of problems, so you want to move as little as possible (i.e., even if there’s stuff on the new account, you’ll want to go from the new to the old rather than the other way around).

Also, if the stuff on the new plan is completely new (meaning you haven’t really setup or used it yet), you’d probably have the easiest time if you close the old plan and have support delete any domains on it outright – then re-add them under the old (downgraded) plan.

That make sense?

if you need an IP look yer butt out as the Code Monster has dropped the unique IP since going on sale :wink:

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

Both the Unique IP and the free SSL certificate have been dropped. Anyone changing plan pricing, do you know if these items have been removed from your account?

I’m fairly certain they woud be removed if you change plans (or go for the sale price, whatever). I was having concerns about switching to the sale plan and happened to catch support on chat as I was inquiring about it and I raised the IP issue, support said I would indeed lose the IP, I assume same goes for the cert.

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]

hmm, thinkgin about this herehmm, thinking about this here. I can’t see a reason not to upgrade from sweet dreams to this, can anyone else?

seems like some of the specs dropped on sweet dreams as well.

I could be completely wrong, the code monster sale is that ever going to be upgraded when the plans change or will the specs remain the same?

It seems like every year the plans expand i.e. more space and more bandwidth…… Will the code monster sale be considered the Code
Monster plan?

willscorner.net

[quote]I could be completely wrong, the code monster sale is that ever
going to be upgraded when the plans change or will the specs
remain the same?

[/quote]

With special promotions like this, while we may upgrade them at some point, it’s not guaranteed. If you were here for the SB-for-$9.95/month promotion last year, that special plan didn’t get upgraded when the normal SB plan was bumped up a couple of months later.

That said, those people are still getting a stellar deal, and can upgrade to the “current” version of the plan at any time - albeit at the normal, advertised pricing.

It’s best to assume that when you purchase a plan, you’re paying for what is advertised at that time. We try to make a point of adding new capabilities for current customer plans at no extra charge, but our “price freeze”* pledge only applies for the plan as you originally purchase it.

• (for those not familiar with this, we have a price freeze pledge that guarantees that we will not change rates on customers for their existing plans)
  • Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

hmmm, Jeff’s statement is slightly different (at least I read it differently) than what I got from support:

If it’s just more features added to a plan, usually all customers get the upgraded features.

To me it seems like support’s comment says most of the time customers would get the new features, whereas Jeff’s statement sounds like that is more of the exception, in regards to special promotion, than the rule.

Maybe it would be best to say something like “While the account may get new features if/when the plan gets new features, this is done on a case-by-case basis and we cannot guarantee if/when/how plan feature additions are handled in the future. (To do this, we would have to err on the side of caution. In turn, the majority would not get as good of offers as they currently do.) We have a ‘price freeze pledge’ which ensures users will never lose features or suffer a price increase to their current plan.”

[quote]It’s best to assume that when you purchase a plan, you’re paying for what is advertised at that time.

[/quote]

That’s exactly what I haven’t been doing. I had the CDI plan when one got 30MB of space instead of 10MB when they signed up for a year in advance… so I’ve grown used to the fact that the plan I buy now, will grow in features.

[quote]If it’s just more features added to a plan,
usually all customers get the upgraded features.

[/quote]

Well, I guess I should clarify this, since what you were told is still accurate. Usually we do make a point of upgrading plans periodically without charging customers extra. It’s a good way to keep customers happy, and to be honest it’s actually a drain on support to have too many different versions of plans to keep track of.

Plus, it’s really a natural outgrowth of the lowering costs for certain things - disk space and bandwidth, especially - and improved processes on our end making it somewhat less expensive to provide the services that we do.

[quote]That’s exactly what I haven’t been doing. I had the CDI
plan when one got 30MB of space instead of 10MB when
they signed up for a year in advance… so I’ve grown used
to the fact that the plan I buy now, will grow in features.

[/quote]

Realistically, your plan will quite likely grow in features over time.

I guess you could say that while we understand it’s in our (and our customers’) best interests not to remain static, we want to be sure people aren’t buying plans under the expectation that it’s going to predictably turn into something else later on (since we can’t really promise that will always be the case, though it has usually been so far).

Since we make it pretty easy to upgrade/downgrade, it’s usually best to just buy the plan you need and then readjust whenever your hosting needs (or our plans) change.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

agreed, I’m just making it complicated :0)