CNAME trouble with DNS hosting only domain

I cancelled my web hosting for my domain, as suggested by other threads here, but I’m still not able to add a CNAME entry. The error I’m getting is “You already have a record for this name. You can’t have a CNAME and any other record on the same name.” My hosting was cancelled about 12 hours ago. Is there anything I’m missing or any additional information I can give? Thanks guys.

FWIW, I’ve had this happen a few times where the domain record gets hung up after deletion (I wasn’t in a big hurry, waited almost 48 hours); I had to open a service ticket with The Happy Dreamhost Support Team and they had it fixed in under an hour.

Hey there!

What’s the domain? Let me know what DNS records you’re trying to update (please provide steps to replicate the error); I’m happy to look into this for you. :slight_smile:

Also, keep in mind that you can never add a CNAME record on the root of a domain (e.g, “example.com”). This is because there are housekeeping records present on the root of the domain (e.g, SOA and NS records) which cannot be removed.