CNAME to subdirectory?

I understand that a CNAME refers to a DNS record, so I can’t refer david.piechnik.ca to piechnik.ca/david

Is there another command or referrer I can use to have an alias like that on my domain?

Thanks for the help!

If these are both hosted here, you can Edit your Fully Hosted Domain (david.piechnik.ca) to use /home/USER/piechnik.ca/david as its directory. I think. I’ve not tried this, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You may have issues with links if they’re not carefully planned (use relative links within david, and full-path links to get to piechnik.ca).

Sorry, I don’t think I understand (which is why I posted in beginner forum! :P). I have piechnik.ca fully hosted. I want piechnik.ca to just be standard. I want david.piechnik.ca to refer to piechnik.ca/david

Is this possible?

Go ahead and start creating a Fully Hosted david.piechnik.ca and make sure it’s the same FTP user as piechnik.ca. For the space where it says “Web directory /home/username/” it will pre-fill david.piechnik.ca.

Change it so it’s piechnik.ca/david

Thank you! It was so much simpler than I thought…just didn’t know I could do that. Thank you very much!

If you still want to have david.piechnik.ca redirect to piechnik.ca/david/, you can do the following:

On the Full Hosted settings page for david.piechnik.ca, scroll down to the Redirect section. Enter a redirect URL:

Redirect to URL: http://piechnik.ca/david/

And click the “Redirect this domain” button.

Now david.piechnik.ca is redirected to piechnik.ca. The redirection is marked a “permanent”, which means that search-engine’s (Google, etc) will use the redirected URL as the official URL.