Cname Blues

Okay… I’m trying to have my domain here point to my .mac account. I’ve been told these directions from .mac

1. Go to your registrar’s website. Define web.mac.com as the “www” CNAME (alias) for your domain.
    If you need help creating a CNAME, contact your registrar.

Now, the wiki here tells me next to nothing since I’m not very familiar with DNS stuff. Can someone tell me what I need to put where on the DNS management page to make this work? Thanks a lot!

On the panel under Domains>>Manage Domains, you’ll see a list of your domains. There should be a “DNS” link under the name of your domain. Click it.

The following page should have a big yellow notification box up top that warns you that you’re in an “Advanced” area.

Go down to the section labeled “Add a custom DNS record to gideonk.com:” Add a CNAME record for www with value web.mac.com

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

I have same problem, i try but receive this response:

CNAME records may only be used on sub-domains.

What problem ?

thanks

Ummm. What subdomain did you use for the CNAME record?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

i post : web.mac.com

in name: web.mac.com

type: CNAME

value: web.mac.com

not corect ?

thanks

Which subdomain of your domain did you specify in the “name” field on the page. From your post, it looks like you typed in “web.mac.com” into this field. That’s inconceivable to me. (Ha! “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”)

sorry, but not acess.

please i am from Brazil, my english is not very well.

you have mail, i send copy page.

my domain in dreamhost is : abdoabdala.com

my account in mac is : web.mac.com/abdoabdala

what command correct imput in my account in dns ?

name ?

value ?

thank very much.

Abdo

Try this:
name = www
type = CNAME
value = web.mac.com

no work… this message:

Add a custom DNS record to abdoabdala.com:

You already have a record for this name. You can’t have a CNAME and any other record on the same name.

Name:
(leave blank for just ‘abdoabdala.com’)
.abdoabdala.com

Type:
(Want MX? Go here!)

Value:

Comment:

sorry what this problem ?

thanks

[quote]sorry what this problem ?

thanks[/quote]
I really wish you could start providing me with additional information instead of making me guess at exactly what you’ve done and what you want to do.

1. Do you understand what a subdomain is? Do you want to host your domain or a subdomain at mac.com?
  2. Do you already have hosting for your domain at DreamHost? It doesn’t matter whether you actually have a site. It matters whether you’ve added hosting on the DreamHost panel. What DNS records do you already have for the domain.

My guess is that you’ve already added hosting for your domain and thus already have a www DNS record. You will need to remove hosting for your domain before adding a www CNAME record. But please please please tell me whether you want to have the CNAME record for a subdomain or your primary domain otherwise you’re just wasting both our time. BTW, I don’t think you can set up a CNAME for your primary domain, only subdomains - but the trick is that www counts as a subdomain.

I’m having the same problem.

The issue is that DreamHost automatically creates an A record for “www” and there’s no way to remove it. This prevents creating a CNAME for “www”, at least through the web panel.

Is there some way to remove the A record that I can’t see? It appears in the “non-editable” section of the Manage Domains page, so I suspect not.

You can remove hosting for the domain or subdomain. If you go to “Domains>Manage Domains” the table of domains has a column labeled “Web Hosting”. There is a “delete” button in this column that, when pressed, will delete the web hosting for that domain. This will make it so that the Apache server will not host that domain and it will also remove the www record for the domain. This enables you to CNAME your domain as well as the www subdomain.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

What if I want DreamHost to host the domain but not the www subdomain?

Also, once I delete the domain from my managed domains, I have no way (that I can find in the Web Panel, at any rate) to set the CNAME or change any of the DNS settings. How would I do this?

I think it’s highly unusual to have www.adomain.tld and adomain.tld to be two different sites. Why would you want to do this? I ask because I suspect that we’re miscommunicating about what “hosting the domain” means.

You’re not deleting the domain from your managed domains. You’re deleting the web hosting for that domain. It will still appear in the table of managed domains in “Domains>Manage Domains”. You will be able to click on the “DNS” link in that table to modify the DNS entries for that domain.

It’s easy to get confused between deleting the hosting for a domain and deleting the domain. You should note that there are two delete buttons for each domain in “Domains>Manage Domains”. The one under the “Web Hosting” column deletes the web hosting - the apache config and the DNS entries. The one under “Actions” column completely deletes the domain from DreamHost management.

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes

Perfect - that worked. You’re correct, I was using the wrong delete button.

As to why host www differently, I don’t have a good reason other than that’s what Apple tells you to do.

Thanks for the help.